• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Pad/Stud Mounts on Acrylic Letters

gnubler

Are pad mounts good enough for exterior letters? I want to mount 10" acrylic letters on a rail to install on the side of a building. I contacted Gemini and they won't do an inline drilling pattern for stud mounted acrylic letters on a rail, but they will do it for pad mounted letters. I'm finding a lot of conflicting info online.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Are pad mounts good enough for exterior letters? I want to mount 10" acrylic letters on a rail to install on the side of a building. I contacted Gemini and they won't do an inline drilling pattern for stud mounted acrylic letters on a rail, but they will do it for pad mounted letters. I'm finding a lot of conflicting info online.

Yes

BetaCtz

Can anyone North of the border chime-in on where to buy these pads? I seem Grimco has them (special order).

I do have a shipping address in the USA, but not ideal.

brdesign

Ahh, yes 7, was a long day. Just thought gluing pads to them would be faster. Hadn’t considered drill and tap, worried I’d blow through the face with the tap.
Another option is to glue the threaded pad mount to the back of the letter and screw the stud into that. I used weld-on 16 cement and scuffing the back of the letter and the pad with sandpaper seemed to help the adhesion. I tested this combo by hanging weights from the glued-on stud mount over the weekend and calculated that 1 per sqft would support the weight of 1/2 inch acrylic panel. These were either 1.5 or 2" diameter pads with the holes in them.

petepaz

I’m curious about Gemini, never used them, I assume they would quote me a pretty high price to produce these letters. I’m going to get a quote just outta curiosity.
i find Gemini to be pretty reasonable once you consider all the time and labor involved. doesn't cost anything to get a quote and then you get the whole job complete ready to install.
we have been using gemini for over 15yrs and the only issue which they have gotten better with is getting a timely quote. they also have an online quoting program which is quick and easy long as you know what you need