• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Paint and Vinyl Question

Pippin Decals

I have a buddy that wants to spray paint some small aluminum signs with white so i can apply lettering to it afterwards .I told him i could apply white vinyl over the signs first but he is insisting on spray paint since he already bought it .

.I have never applied to this process, I normally use an oil based gloss for Wood type signs ive done.. Is there a spray paint that is safe for applying vinyl to without issues later on? Thanks .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Technically, rattle can paint is lousy regardless of what brand you get, unless you're talking a very short term project.

equippaint

Theres a process to prep aluminum or paint will peel off. Both sheeting or spray painting seems like a waste of time, just buy white blanks or a full sheet. Ginos right too, spray paint is crap alkyd enamel.

Pippin Decals

Gino And Equippaint - He bought the bare aluminum before contacting me . What do you suggest for prepping . These will be long term out side. and i will be using 751 vinyl.

equippaint

Acid etch with vinegar, wash prime, epoxy prime and spray a good 2k polyurethane.
Youll get 6mos to 1yr tops of gloss retention with spray paint. Then it will start chalking even if you prep the alum right. You really should go with white blanks, the finish is extremely durable and will last.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't really matter much what the customer bought, if he bought the wrong stuff. Explain to him that the signs simply will not last very long regardless of what he does to them, other than a professional spray paint system. Just not rattle cans. Tell him he will be wasting his money, your time and having to do most of them over in less than a year.

Sometimes, the amount of work needed to fix someone else's mistake is not worth the risk of doing it wrong. You might hafta just walk away, if he doesn't listen.

If you didn't have the knowledge to tell him what to do in the first place, when he told you what he did...... I highly doubt your customer is gonna get a satisfactory product.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just read your profile. According to what you have there, I'd say, let go of a possible very stressful situation and move on, if your buddy doesn't wanna do it correctly. Ya don't need that kinda aggregation.

visual800

what Gino said! and if this customer is like many others when this product fails it will be your fault, lol. how large is the sign? just curious. bare aluminum is such a waste of time since there is also painted aluminum available

Pippin Decals

what Gino said! and if this customer is like many others when this product fails it will be your fault, lol. how large is the sign? just curious. bare aluminum is such a waste of time since there is also painted aluminum available

I appreciate the info everyone . the signs are small. roughly 6"tall x 20" wide.