• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint?

D2S

Hey guys I am going to paint some alupanel today I couldnt get it in the right color. I was going to see what everyone suggest for a paint on this material I am going to roll it on with a foam brush but want the best paint for the job. Also should ibhit it with a sandpaper of maybe 20 before or shouldit he ready to go?

rossmosh

DTM paint wins for me. I'll be honest, I've never rolled it, but the stuff sprays great out of a HPLV gun with some slight thinning. It says it can be rolled so I can't imagine rolling being too much of an issue.

Why I like it? Doesn't really smell too much. It's acrylic but has an enamel like quality. It's reasonably priced. Sticks great to a ton of different stuff. Vinyl sticks great to it. It's also something you can buy at Sherwin Williams or from a PPG dealer which is great compared to some of the special buy paints out there.

Prep is to rough up the surface with a high grit paper. Clean it off well with alcohol. Then paint. DTM has really great adhesion qualities so you should be good to go. Just don't rush the paint. If it says it needs 4-6 hours to dry before re-coat, wait 6 hours. If it says 24 hours until cured. Wait 36+ hours. It's worth it to be a little extra cautious.

Billct2

If it's not a too big I prefer sheeting with vinyl.
If we have to paint we scuff with a scotch brite pad, clean and paint with a good
oil based enamel.
We prefer to spray, for the nice smooth finish you get.
Rolling is acceptable, though you may end up with a bit of texture.

sardocs

I use a green scotchbrite pad with a mactac felt squeegie as a backer to hold it flat. Use long strokes all going in the same direction. Clean off the dust with a bit of wax and grease remover. I only use oil based General Paint Marine enamel, although it has been re-branded as Weather-it, the formula is the same. A medium thickness yellow foam roller works just fine. Once the paint is evenly applied I use a paint stir stick held along the roller handle and protruding enough to hold the roller from turning. It takes a bit of fiddling with the grip to get it right. Lightly drag the non-turning roller over the wet surface to remove any bubbles and leave a really nice smooth finish. I have a few roller cages I put a screw into the plastic disc near the handle that I can back out a half inch to stop the roller from turning, but the stick works in a pinch. It's almost as smooth as spraying.

OldPaint

ME.......... i use the same paint on any metal.............THATS ON YOURE VEHICLE))) automotive A/E . spray, and 2 hours later you can do what ever you want on it.