• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

panel saw or track saw

bigben

So I'm looking to buy a saw to cut maintly dibond and other sign related rigid material. If I can cut acrylic and aluminum up to 80mil it would be great but not mandatory. I will also do plywood few times a year. I look between a panel saw or a track saw. What do you recommend and what brand/model. There is a panel saw make by saw trax that look very versatile for our industry but could not find real feed back about it.

I'm opened to all suggestions. Thanks.

2B

Where are you cutting?
meaning is the potential of dust a factor?

we use a https://www.keencut.com/product/steeltrak/
"95%" happy with it.
* freestanding can be knocked out of alignment fairly easy
* the utility blade holder can/does move some so there is a "wave" cut, even with "soft" materials like foam board
* you can NOT shave an edge, have to cut a MIN of .5", otherwise the cutter will come off the material

do we want to go back to hand cutting or using a panel saw with the debris? NOT A CHANCE

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have a SawTrax for about 20 years. It takes about 78" tall and can fit 10' across without hanging over the side. That size means you can put a 10' or 12' substrate in and it will easily bsalane on there and one person can cut up to 5' or 6' x 23' panels. Absolutely love it. Cuts just about anything.

However, according the job, we have a fletcher and a keen cutter. Like said, it is a lot less messy.

bigben

Where are you cutting?
meaning is the potential of dust a factor?

we use a https://www.keencut.com/product/steeltrak/
"95%" happy with it.
* freestanding can be knocked out of alignment fairly easy
* the utility blade holder can/does move some so there is a "wave" cut, even with "soft" materials like foam board
* you can NOT shave an edge, have to cut a MIN of .5", otherwise the cutter will come off the material

do we want to go back to hand cutting or using a panel saw with the debris? NOT A CHANCE
I have a specific area in the shop for dust or dirty work. The steeltrak was one of my option, but like you said the precision is not perfect from many reviews I've read. This is why I'm looking for other options.
Have a SawTrax for about 20 years. It takes about 78" tall and can fit 10' across without hanging over the side. That size means you can put a 10' or 12' substrate in and it will easily bsalane on there and one person can cut up to 5' or 6' x 23' panels. Absolutely love it. Cuts just about anything.

However, according the job, we have a fletcher and a keen cutter. Like said, it is a lot less messy.
How clean and precise is the cut of dibond with this? I have to admit not cutting coroplast with a ruler and knife would be good too.

Billct2

We have a Safety Speedcut panel saw, one of the best tools in the shop. Only thing I'd change is the usual, wish I'd gone bigger with the 60"

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I'll agree with the wave on the utility blade, but I've shaved 2mm from edges of 2 and 3mm DiBond many times. You can even trim mounted prints if you carefully put them in facing away from you. Just have to go slow and steady, and make sure that you do regular maintenance, and use production stops on RHS. The new design composite cutter is better than the original (though a small part of this may be fresh blades).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like any tool. Keep it free of getting knocked around after you set it up and it will remain accurate for a very long time. I think in the 20 years we've had ours, we've had to re-align it maybe twice and it's no big deal.

As for a clean cut, almost any blade with teeth are gonna leave some burrs. Just about anything metal run along the edge will remove the burrs. You can get an adaptor for cutting Cor-X, but Cor-X is easier on the keen or fletcher. Ours is about 126". However, if it's not in your budget for other cutting devises, the panel saw is by far your most versatile piece of equipment to get.

Like he said, go big or go home. Ya don't wanna have a bottleneck because you were cheap up front. It'll pay for itself on no time. Nothing like cutting so far, then having to take it out and turn it around. Then, it's not doing it's job.