• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paneling a 20'x12' sign

ZipSeb

I was wondering what was the best way to align/mount 96"x48" panels/boards to produce the best end results making a 20'x12' aluminium ACM (96"x48). I have my panels printed to a stagared patern ( first row will be 8'x4' then 8'x4' then 4'x4', second row will start with the 4'x4' sheet then 8'x4' then 8'x4', last row will be as the top). Let me know how you guys are assembling these.

Last edited:

unclebun

I have never seen 12' sheet goods offered for sale.

I think the old-fashioned way of doing this would be a pair of 4x10s across the bottom and 5 4x8s vertically above them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They come 61" X 148". I've used them plenty of times. I don't know about 4' wide, though.

ZipSeb

I have all my panels printed, I was more looking for a methode to install & align the digital print vinyl to the ACM panels... Getting all the design to match on each sheets.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
From a sign supply place for me. I don't know. . . . . . or care where they get it. You usually hafta order it, but it's always been fairly easy to get.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, you're just gonna have a lot more seems this way. You need to put battens down first and make sure they hit all the seems, too. Then, put your sheets over top in the order you mentioned.

We recently did a 12' x 40' sign. Took a long day to put it all up, but we got the frame up and really only had 7 seems to deal with, but also fastened two rows in the middle, plus top and bottom.

storage front wall.jpg

unclebun

I have all my panels printed, I was more looking for a methode to install & align the digital print vinyl to the ACM panels... Getting all the design to match on each sheets.
Hopefully you printed the panels with a 2" overage all around.

Start with the middle panel of the middle row. Mount the print as perfectly as you can & trim it. Then place the neighboring 4x8 butted against it on your easel or table. Line up the print so that it is aligned with the already mounted print and apply it to that panel and trim. Then put the 4x4 panel butted against the other side of the middle panel and do the same.

Then take the middle panel of the bottom row alongside the middle panel of the middle row and do the same, finish the bottom row. Then repeat with the top row.

ZipSeb

Hopefully you printed the panels with a 2" overage all around.

Start with the middle panel of the middle row. Mount the print as perfectly as you can & trim it. Then place the neighboring 4x8 butted against it on your easel or table. Line up the print so that it is aligned with the already mounted print and apply it to that panel and trim. Then put the 4x4 panel butted against the other side of the middle panel and do the same.

Then take the middle panel of the bottom row alongside the middle panel of the middle row and do the same, finish the bottom row. Then repeat with the top row.
Yes, I did print bleed, not 2" tho... 1/2"
Ok, that is pretty much what my intentions were, although I do want to mount with the laminator, might be a bit tricky having to move the 8'x4' sheets from our easel to the laminator without moving :(

ikarasu

Double sided tape. 1" In each corner... Tape it down once its aligned then you can move it wherever you want without the vinyl moving.... We found thats the best way when doing 4x8 panel alignments... So long as you tape it down flat, its always been perfect.

ZipSeb

Double sided tape. 1" In each corner... Tape it down once its aligned then you can move it wherever you want without the vinyl moving.... We found thats the best way when doing 4x8 panel alignments... So long as you tape it down flat, its always been perfect.
That is a great idea... :cool: This is exactly the kind of tips and tricks I was hoping for from the community. Thanks for your comment Ikarasu

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I do the same thing as little Miss Huckabee over there. Angle mounted to bottom so all the panels line up.

I wouldn't stagger panels, I like minimal seams all simetricial and even... Not 8' 8' then 4'. I'd make them all 6'. Better yet, use the 12' panels. GSG sells it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have never seen 12' sheet goods offered for sale.

I think the old-fashioned way of doing this would be a pair of 4x10s across the bottom and 5 4x8s vertically above them.
You can get 12' panels all day long. Heck, when I built my flatbed I got a single sheet of 8' x 18' 1/4" carbon steel so I wouldn't have seams.