• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

paneling vinyl

gunshy

I'm not a newbie, I have been cutting and applying vinyl many years,
but my question is newbie type.
When I was first learning to apply vinyl I was always taught that if
I was paneling vinyl to start low and the next panel up would over lap
the lower panel. I notice that allot of jobs I see out there are not done this way.

Sometimes, depending on the job, it's would be easier to start high and
work down. How is everyone else paneling?

Techman

your right. Botton to top is best.
However, there are more than a few self taughts here who didn't get the benefit of other's experience.

Botttom to top on a panel leaves no edge to catch water and dirt from which streaks form.

Ken

In what situation would it be inconvienient to start at the bottom?
Bottoms up!
Ken

Techman

Tech, you ever cut corners on that?
Sometimes when it isn't convenient to start low.

Nope.. If you can finish it when the edge is way low.. you can start when the edge is way low..

I can spot a noob's panel job from the street. If the panel has been up a few weeks you can spot the friggin streaks.

Even on vinyl lettering with straight tops such as a "T" there is a way to prevent streaks running down the face. Just gotta have some experience.

gunshy

In what situation would it be inconvienient to start at the bottom?
Bottoms up!
Ken

Such as when the bottom up the decal need to end up at a certain height. I know there are work arounds, just wanted to see how everyone else here a installing.

thesignexpert

Always, always, always... bottom to top & rear to front for all of the reasons listed above. That exposed edge is a weak point (both physically and aesthetically) and it should always be protected. That being said, should the need ever arise where you absolutely have to break this rule then use a SeamSealer pen (or brush it on) to protect and seal that edge.

Good luck

Tim Evans

http://www.thesignexpert.com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Ken

Yeah, I saw a Doritos delivery truck a while back..one side was layed down from the back to the front..the other side was front to rear?
People always look at me funny when i go around a vehicle "feeling" the laps..lol..
Ken