• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Passwords

Johnny Best

I had a app on my phone that stored all my passwords and it went wonky and lost all of them. So I just used the same password for everything except my banking websites.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
How is that different than what I said? You're saying adding one relevant letter in front of that - is too complicated?
I don't add any characters. Site name, who cares, everyone gets the same identical password. Far simpler than having to add characters depending on the choices of others. As previously noted, these passwords are to protect them, not you. Since I care not an ounce of clotted wombat snot about them and their security, they can accept my password or they can pound sand.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Are you saying your bank pw and signs101 pw are the same thing?
I don't have a bank password. I don't do anything resembling banking and/or financials online. Neither should anyone else. Regardless, the passwords that I'm talking about are all of those required by others to access various web sites, etc. For things of mine, I have other schemes, just as simple but different.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I watched a documentary somewhere about Benford's Law and how our IRS uses it to deal with tax fraud and a European country that uses is it for it's citizens ID's, bank accounts, and other identification. They apparently do not have to worry about someone stealing their identities or anything like that. I forgot how it worked but it seems cool. Passwords may protect us on some level but they just seem so dated.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I use a program called bitwarden, it stores all of your passwords and generates passwords for you that are secure, I only need to remember the master password. I don't k ow any of my passwords anymore, each one is unique and I have no concerns about my passwords being compromised.

You can even share parts of your password database with others with bitwarden, so our bookkeeper can log into the sites she needs to.
I've been using Bitwarden for a couple years now. Love that it's cross platform so I can use from my phone or my MacBook or whatever. Makes life a LOT easier.

Vassago

There's an even better way.. Buy a domain.. Only a few bucks a year..

That way you get unlimited email addresses - a different email address per use. If you get spam, just look at the address - shows you who sold your details - then just block that one. Get an email from your bank buy its to the wrong address.. Its not your bank.. Regardless of how good it is.

Then add a sentence based password.. Easy to remember, impossible to crack.. If they hack the company your account is with.. Wow.. They've only got the email you use with that company.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Passwords....there has to be a better way at this point. Trying to remember them, forgetting them, forgetting to make note of them, incorrectly entered, they have to be uppercase/lowercase/special characters, not long enough, too easy. I've used dashlane for a bit but logs you out constantly and half the time it doesn't work correctly. Anyone have amazing solutions they are using?
For the love of God, just put micro chips in us already!
I use Keeper password manager. It has a "family" feature so I can share certain passwords with my wife and apps for my PC and my Android. I've been very happy with this software for several years now.

frankzilla

I personally recommend 1Password for everything. Similar to BitWarden, there is a master password you remember, but that's it. The 1 password you need for 1Password, is just that, 1 password. The rest is auto-generated and secure. You can set lengths and complications. You can have multiple devices with 1Password without a higher subscription vs LastPass. You also can opt for a family plan and have multiple users, and you can share certain credentials in the group so that others can use the same login as needed for "shared" items. LastPass is a little more user-friendly, but it ends up costing more if you have a lot of multiple device logins to use it; phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, workstation, work phone, design station, etc.

The general promotion you can search for is a 50% discount off 1st year. If you dig deeper, you can find the WSJ discount of 60% off the first year.

Being from a CyberSecurity background, I can't recommend a password manager more than anything, regardless of the one you use. Just NOT the browser one.
I have a pretty Handy system I learned From my computer consultant dad. I have a base "word" made up of letters, a number and a special character. For different sites/accounts, I add a letter at the beginning, usually the first letter of the site,/account. It's safe, unique and easy to remember.
This logic system can be super easy to crack. Once one of these is figured out, your "word" can be added to the wordlist to apply as an input just like another character and then ran as a string. Instead of a standard guess of a, aa, aaa, aaaa, aaaaa.... it can be asampleword, aasampleword, aaasampleword, .....etc.

Alternatively, the system can be secure from cracking in the first place IF you have a long enough password, at least 16 characters or more to start with. So no single password is easy to have cracked. The only issue is if your password for Amazon and Apple is the same (based on the first letter), then there can be a compromise there for recycled passwords already, especially 2 major logins if either is compromised with password hashes or the actual password is figured out.

There is where reverting back to a password manager where no 2 passwords are anything alike is what can be 2nd to most secure. Like some others mentioned, the most secure is different users/emails for EACH login in addition to different passwords for each, with no 2 pairs of data the same.

Now, back to printing and signs....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I make up complex passwords and promptly forget them. Lucky, when I need one I just ask Google and they always know them for some reason.
Thanks, Google Assistant!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Google has sucka dirty algorithm. It suggested a nice password for me yesterday
20220815_180109.jpg

IsItFasst

Yes, a password manager it's where it's at. I've been using one for many years. I recommend LastPass but there are many out there. Want it to suggest a password?...it can do that with whatever the password requirements are. Need it to remember your credit card or address so you don't have to type them in every time?...it can do that too. It syncs between your phone and as many browsers as you want to use. And the big thing about password managers is, that it is almost impossible to get "phished". If you go to a site that you know you have a password for but the website is actually a phishing website, the password manager will recognize that you don't have a password stored for that site which will make you realize the website isn't real. For example: you may go to something like "sign101.com" and the site looks legit but since it isn't actually "signs" the password manager knows this and won't let you autofill your password on that bogus site.