• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Passwords

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Passwords....there has to be a better way at this point. Trying to remember them, forgetting them, forgetting to make note of them, incorrectly entered, they have to be uppercase/lowercase/special characters, not long enough, too easy. I've used dashlane for a bit but logs you out constantly and half the time it doesn't work correctly. Anyone have amazing solutions they are using?
For the love of God, just put micro chips in us already!

Johnny Best

I use SeaMonkey for my browser and it saves all the passwords, on the IPad it has a password manager and uses my face recognition to unlock the password.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I have a pretty Handy system I learned From my computer consultant dad. I have a base "word" made up of letters, a number and a special character. For different sites/accounts, I add a letter at the beginning, usually the first letter of the site,/account. It's safe, unique and easy to remember.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How could anyone forget that facial fotch...... even a computer ??

I knew I knew you from somewhere........................... outer mongolia, perhaps ??

Attachments

• indy nazi.jpg
    indy nazi.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 79

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have a pretty Handy system I learned From my computer consultant dad. I have a base "word" made up of letters, a number and a special character. For different sites/accounts, I add a letter at the beginning, usually the first letter of the site,/account. It's safe, unique and easy to remember.
Too complicated. Pick a word of sufficient length, diddle it with upper case, numbers, special characters. Remember it. Use it for everything. Passwords are far more to protect those requiring one than yourself. Why go out of your way to accommodate them? Make it easy on yourself, not anyone else. Moreover, for those web sites that want you to answer questions that you have previously set up. When you set up your answers to any of these questions just use the last word of the question with an 's' or some other character of your choice added to the end of the word as the answer to that question. Do these two things and get on with your life.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Too complicated. Pick a word of sufficient length, diddle it with upper case, numbers, special characters. Remember it. Use it for everything.
How is that different than what I said? You're saying adding one relevant letter in front of that - is too complicated?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
+1 on password manager apps. Or an encrypted text file which is basically the same thing without the automation of an app.

jochwat

Graphics Department
That's exactly what I do. But I didn't get the idea from your dad. Wait a minute, you don't suppose... Nah, that couldn't be... Could it?

RabidOne

I use a similar one. Pick your key word, something like this: !Bobs901. Then add the first two letters of the site at the beginning and the last 2 letters at the end:
So Signs 101 would be: Si!Bobs90101.
Pretty easy to remember.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I let chrome keep all my passwords, and refer back to them if I forget a password.
Problem with using a repeated phrase within a password, at some point one of your old passwords will be leaked, lets say walgreens. So now they know you utilized password WA*baseword*. They will literally purchase your email/password combo, along with 10k other individuals who were in said breach, and they will parse out your password and attempt it on any given website that they have robots setup to log into with this list of passwords. Now I'm not saying they will be geniuses and actually discover the method by which you are generating passwords, but if you can write down 3 of your passwords for 3 websites, could you then guess what your 4th website/pw combo would be? Is it as simple as AM*baseword* for you amazon account? If so, it's a bad system, they will get more of your passwords over time, they will collate it all, and eventually they will try to generate their own passwords. AI and machine learning are both going to make this process faster constantly.
2 factor is my only suggestion, as well as never entering debit card info anywhere. I don't even use bank debiting options if they are available, I'll just pay the card fee monthly to keep chase in my back pocket in the event my cc gets stolen. And even 2 factor can be socially engineered around by some clever teenagers...

The sentence concept is fantastic, but unfortunately, the vast majority of pw requirements force you to be under 16 chars, as well as use special characters/numbers, which really janks up any sentence that doesn't end in !?!?. I forget which website it is, imgur or gifsomething, but they use 3 words pulled from a library of words, and assembles it into an adjective*verb*noun phrase, so instead of potentially trying to share a bunch of random characters for a link, you can at least read and enter the url by hand in under 10 seconds.
Chrome also will tell you when you login that your password is on a dark web list. I had to temporarily make a password for a not important site and entered 1234 and Chrome told me that it had been compromised lol.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I keep a list buried on my phone. I also have an address book that has more important ones, non-business, incase I die or something happens at least my kids can get into some of my accounts. If it's Amazon then it's under A, if it's Netflix, it's under N. I have about 6 passwords I use consistently with a series of 4 number patterns after the words and a special character. At least I can keep guessing for a while and usually get it LOL One of my sons has his face print for my phone, nobody else.

My bank is smart and recognizes the words patterns so for that I used to use soda brands like Coke, Pepsi and the same numbers after. I had to change it every 90 days. Now I use a different series of beverages.

CanuckSigns

I use a program called bitwarden, it stores all of your passwords and generates passwords for you that are secure, I only need to remember the master password. I don't k ow any of my passwords anymore, each one is unique and I have no concerns about my passwords being compromised.

You can even share parts of your password database with others with bitwarden, so our bookkeeper can log into the sites she needs to.