• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PayPal Scam

kanini

Ok maybe I was being overly cautious. The way I am reading it I would have to supply them with information on every transaction such as invoice, tracking numbers etc. Do you have to do that with every transaction?
No, it should be for just that transaction and then it will be fine for a long time forward. We did it once when they asked a few years ago when we started using the service to accept credit cards and it's been fine since then, no issues at all. As people probably already mentioned in the thread this is pretty standard with every payment processor that they do require a lot of (bizarre) information, especially if you want to start accepting major credit cards. Good luck!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Funny timing. My friend called me the other night asking about this. His friend has been stealing stuff using the self checkout at an unnamed hardware store and selling it on eBay, $8k worth last month. Well they locked his account and he got the same exact notice as what was posted here about him having to show invoices and provide an ID. Not saying anyone is stealing, just pointing out what they are targeting. If you're legit, give them what they want and be happy that they're actually being proactive to stop this sort of thing.

dypinc

I took the advise I was given here and they did remove the limitation on the account. I have not re-enable PayPal payments on our web site yet though.

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
There appears there is a serious scam going on with PayPal. They are saying that there was a recent change of activity and put a limitation on the account where I can not transfer money to my bank account. They (the scammer) are trying to blackmail me into sending them a bunch of personal information including a photoID to lift this limitation. I can't see how this can be legit as I have had this PayPal account for over 20 years and never needed to produce this info. They also lied and claim that this is a government requirement. To prove this yesterday I created a new business account and I did not need to provide any of this documentation they claim they needed. So it appears you are just trying to scam me and phishing for information especially after not having a problem for 20 years. And trying to say there has been a change in recent activity is just another lie to try to get personal information. This obviously is not required.

I would advise anyone that has a PayPal account to make sure you don't have any money in it and cancel the account as quickly as possible before they allow this scam to take over your account, put limitations on it and then blackmail you for lots of personal information to lift the limitation. Some of this information they say they want is invoice I generate for my customers that pay by PayPal when if they were legit they would already have that information. They also want tracking numbers of what and to who I ship to. And claim I need to also provide receipt from my suppliers. Attached is the scam paper. Kind of scary what they are asking for. At this point I just want to cancel my account but they would not even let do that.

I this point I am not sure any phone numbers or contact information on the Paypal web are legit when I login. Anybody have this happen to them? Any suggestions on how to resolve this?
I had to send the same info to PayPal that I had to in order to open a bank account. The recent budget changed the rules for reporting transactions for all financial institutions including PayPal, AirBNB etc.