• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PayPal Scam

victor bogdanov

I keep a small balance in my paypal account, transfer almost daily. Only time I've had problems was with chargebacks (someone using a stolen card) but thats out of PayPal hand and the cc company decides that one

netsol

Ok maybe I was being overly cautious. The way I am reading it I would have to supply them with information on every transaction such as invoice, tracking numbers etc. Do you have to do that with every transaction?
regarding credit card payments, that explains all the new requirements.

i am 68, have had a social security card since i was 14.
i worked for a manufacturing company when i was in high school (not quite legal at that time, but that's another story...)
prior to getting credit card merchant authorization in the last 10 years, i have not had to touch my social security card since 1969.
working for yourself, there is no one to show it to. i started collecting social security 2 years ago, and had to locate the card and show it for the 3rd and most likely last time

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Paypal is better for the consumer rather than the merchant. They give 180 days whereas credit cards give 60 days for chargebacks. As a merchant, I don't prefer to accept Paypal for that reason, but as a consumer.. if Paypal is an available option I'll take it. If not for the dispute / resolution process, but for the convience of not having to fill everything out at checkout for unknown merchants.

You'll have to balance the risk of accepting Paypal for yourself, but all merchants can freeze your funds.. sometimes up to 6 months with no one to get a hold of to dispute it. All forms of payments have risk (checks can bounce, large cash can make you a target and inconvenience of physically having to deposit). Zelle, cashapp or vinmo or wire transfers have the least risk for the receiver... almost none that I can think of, but senders would be hesitant to use those forms of payment. So, it's your decision. I would assume someone disputed a payment they sent you or something got flagged.. I bet there is information you're not sharing, but them asking for ID and locking your account is not out of the ordinary.

binki

And PayPal can apparently freeze your funds for what ever reason they want. I still can't get them to give a specific reason.
All of those services can do that and good luck getting anyone on the phone. This is why we only use a merchant processor. They actually have rules that they follow and don't do crap like this.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
All of those services can do that and good luck getting anyone on the phone. This is why we only use a merchant processor. They actually have rules that they follow and don't do crap like this.
Except that is not true. Merchant processors do hold money. You are confusing a bank account with paypal, paypal is not a bank so they don't have to follow the same rules that a bank does if you leave your money sitting in there.

dypinc

I bet there is information you're not sharing, but them asking for ID and locking your account is not out of the ordinary.
It is the information they are not sharing that is the source of the problem. They say significant changes to your account activity which is not the case. Same thing as the last six month. Nothing I can find that has changed other then less orders in the last month because people mainly order calendars through that web site. The only orders that go to Paypal come from that shopping cart with what was ordered, and even the shipping method chosen and shipping charges. Yet when they put a limitation on the account they were asking for the exact same thing, which is what really threw a red flag to me. Like I mentioned before if they wanted this information why did they not ask for it when I add that payment option in the shopping cart and they started getting orders. As for the ID they never asked for it in the last 20 years. And still don't ask for it when you create a new account, even a business account.

The other thing that I never can get a straight answer on from them or anyone else is do I now have to go back and login to PayPal and give them tracking numbers and documentation on everything that I ship.

netsol

Hey, what about the Cat Food Scam ?? No matter what store you go into, the cat food shelves are basically empty. Nothing left in wet or dry food. Who's hoarding that ?? The covid people ??

Ya can get the litter sand, but who's gonna p!ss & sh!t in their box, if they ain't eating nothing ??
gino, you know the answer to this.
as soon as you say "shortage" everyone runs out and buys it all up.
prices soar. so why not leave the shelves empty

i saw bounty paper towels 6 rolls for almost $19. who are we kidding?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I typically buy 50lb bags of dog food for $20-22.
Last trip they were out, closest thing was a 20lb bag that cost $40. Worst part is, my dogs love it...
I like Chewey.com if you subscribe, then you get a discount, and you don't have to remember to buy it. It just shows up at the door. I love the 21st century.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I think they used to be a little more (price of convenience?) but seeing the cost of dog food on the shelves lately - It might be a bargain. I'll have to comparison shop before the next order ships out.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It is the information they are not sharing that is the source of the problem. They say significant changes to your account activity which is not the case. Same thing as the last six month. Nothing I can find that has changed other then less orders in the last month because people mainly order calendars through that web site. The only orders that go to Paypal come from that shopping cart with what was ordered, and even the shipping method chosen and shipping charges. Yet when they put a limitation on the account they were asking for the exact same thing, which is what really threw a red flag to me. Like I mentioned before if they wanted this information why did they not ask for it when I add that payment option in the shopping cart and they started getting orders. As for the ID they never asked for it in the last 20 years. And still don't ask for it when you create a new account, even a business account.

The other thing that I never can get a straight answer on from them or anyone else is do I now have to go back and login to PayPal and give them tracking numbers and documentation on everything that I ship.
So, you're complaining about them asking for ID now and not 20 years ago? Things and policy change over the years. Used to be you could get on a plane and not take your shoes off.

And they probably dont ask for ID on new accounts to make it easier to sign up. I bet once a person goes over a certain amount of $ they will ask. You triggered something in their system, and that trigger doesn't have to be published for you to know beforehand. They probably keep that information close to the chest so scammers don't use it to get away with things.

You're complaining and making a big deal about nothing. Who care if PAYPAL has your ID? Did you complain when your local bank asked for one when you set up your account? People ask for ID all day long. I'm kind of suprised PayPal doesn't just as a matter of course. People show ID all day long. Yesterday I had to in order to get a hotel, and buy a new truck, and to get let into the gentleman's club because "Honey" was dancing that night and she just loves when I'm there.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's from your head all the way down to you toes...... not the other head. Does that even register n a ruler ?? I have a scale rule, if ya wanna measure it. :smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah.... and this is six inches in Florida....... just ask anyone's wife.

6 inches.jpg