• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Peeling issue on tanker trailer within 6 months

ple

I have applied vinyl lettering to trailers for over 20 years now, but haven't had this happen before. It looks like a prep failure or chemical cleaner used after vinyl applied, but it was prepped the same as all tanker trailers and the customer said he hasn't cleaned the trailer with anything since it was lettered 6 months ago. It looks like all the peeling is from the top of the letters, but one letter is completely gone. Yes, it's stainless steel and the cast vinyl isn't warrantied for stainless, but the sister trailer I did 8 years ago looks great except for very minimal peeling that is natural for after 8 years. The owner did say the trailer is used and it used to haul apple juice. Now it's just used to haul water. Could the surface have been treated with something to protect it from the acid in the apple juice? The copy on the back of the tank looks great, no peeling at all, just the sides look terrible in most areas. Where the vinyl is sticking, it is on tight. I even had to remove some letters that wrinkled when I first applied it and those were hard to get off to replace. So they were sticking well in the beginning.

This issue reminds me of a car window project I did when Rain X first came out. I didn't k now the customer used Rain X on the car window before I applied the vinyl. A week or two later, it snowed a very wet snow and the letters slid down the back window of the car with the weight of the snow. So it made me wonder if something like Rain X was used on the surface and my cleaner didn't cut it. Just seems odd that the letters all peeled from the top on the sides and none at all peeled on the back.

The customer with the trailer said the lettering looked fine when he parked the trailer in early November, but when he saw it the other day, the lettering was all peeled from the top.
I will remove all the lettering for him, but to replace it, I need to figure out what went wrong before I try to apply something else ( and what should I use on stainless steel if the the manufacturer of the vinyl doesn't guarantee it on stainless? ) What would be the best cleaner?

Has anyone had this issue with tanker trailer? If so, your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
IMG_0159.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 127

Redbrn3588

We’ve ran into this issue before. Have you had an ice storm lately if so that would be the cause. The customer needs to clean the ice off before it starts to melt and slide down the trailer grabbing the edge of the vinyl and tearing it.

ple

Thank you for your reply. We had a heavy snow over Christmas and frigid temperatures but no ice that I remember. His other trailer that I did eight years ago is sitting right next to this one and looks good except a bit of peeling on the edges from years of being washed.

ple

Are you using the same vinyl as you used 20 years ago and is it from 3M, Orical or other brand.
I switched from Avery after their major issue years ago to 3M 7125. That is what I used on the trailer I did for this customer 8 years ago and all other vehicles without any problems. I have had trouble getting 7125 black, like everyone else in the last year or two. Rumor was, they were having trouble getting a certain ingredient that goes into making the black? I'm not sure if that is the real reason I have had to wait months for orders of 7125 black.

weyandsign

Is it cast vinyl? Was it post heated? Was the tank wiped down before putting the vinyl on? Are they using chemicals to clean the tank? Are they blasting it off with a pressure washer?

ple

Yes, the 7125 is premium cast vinyl. The tank was cleaned with three different cleaners before applying and the vinyl. It was applied during 80 degree weather in the sun. The owner has not cleaned it at all since the vinyl was put on in September. He used it for a few weeks and then parked it for the season. We have discussed the damage a pressure washer could do. His tanker I did 8 years ago still looks very good for the age.

ple

Have others had problems with this brand? How long have you used Oracal 751 ? I have never had problems with 3M before this situation. I have been using it for about 20 years.

weyandsign

I don't know of any problems with the 7125, but in my opinion I like Oracal 751 better because it seems a little more flexible and has a nicer gloss surface. I just can't think of any other reason for this problem to happen in this situation unless you got a bad roll or something. A tank like this I usually heat the vinyl with a hair dryer and push the edges down after installation.

ple

It was plenty hot out. A few letters I had to replace because of wrinkles came off very hard. That is what has me stumped. I didn't clean the very top of the tank, so I wondered if something could have washed down since the letters are peeling from the top. During the Avery issue years ago, the letters peeled all the way around.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My experience is, your customer is either lying to you or someone else is, to your customer. Something, whether it be apple juice, some cleaning agent or bigfoot p!ssing on it at night has been spilling down over it from above. The truck looks very clean to me for never have been cleaned. Is this tanker/trailer filled from the top ?? How are the innards removed ?? Out the back or also out the top ?? Are both sides equally coming off ??

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
I switched from Avery after their major issue years ago to 3M 7125. That is what I used on the trailer I did for this customer 8 years ago and all other vehicles without any problems. I have had trouble getting 7125 black, like everyone else in the last year or two. Rumor was, they were having trouble getting a certain ingredient that goes into making the black? I'm not sure if that is the real reason I have had to wait months for orders of 7125 black.
I still to this day try not to use Avery after their issues. Had to redo about 100 vans.

ple

My experience is, your customer is either lying to you or someone else is, to your customer. Something, whether it be apple juice, some cleaning agent or bigfoot p!ssing on it at night has been spilling down over it from above. The truck looks very clean to me for never have been cleaned. Is this tanker/trailer filled from the top ?? How are the innards removed ?? Out the back or also out the top ?? Are both sides equally coming off ??
Both sides are peeling. One side a little worse. The back is fine, nothing wrong at all. He hauls pool water. I will check to see where it's filled at. I believe the top. It's really weird that his 8 year old trailer is fine.

2B

Those letters are peeling top down, and only on a section of the trailer was affected....... meaning something was sprayed, spilled, cleaned, ETC...
if the trailer has been sitting, how come the material is torn off?
I don't want to call the owner a "liar", but maybe he is misinformed as to what the employees are doing to the tankers

if it was a surface issue, then ALL AREAS would be lifting

we use a combo of steps, especially if a surface has a risk of an additive being on it
1) LA's Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner
2) Rapid Remover
3) 99% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol House Mix
4) Install vinyl

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how it works where you're at, but is the water being delivered to pools or taken away ?? Around here, most people just hook a pump up and syphon the water out and let it run down the road. However, if you're in a more residential area, I'm sure if water must be replaced a company must take it away before putting fresh water in.

Sooo..... is this water USED pool water ??