• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pen Tablets

m.hafenbrack

We are thinking on getting one of those pen tablets for designing. I've heard some people love them and was wondering if anyone here uses them and your thoughts. and if so what kind do you use?

Thanks

ashford

Wacom is definitely the best way to go. I've been working with tablets since I was eleven, and I can tell you that the other tablet products tend to have more wiring problems than the Wacoms.
At work I use a smaller Graphire4, which is great if you don't want to commit until you've had a taste. Once you get hooked, you never go back, though! At home I have an Intuos3, and it's brill. If you do digital painting, too, the airbrush pens are great.

m.hafenbrack

What sizes do you guys prefer? I'm on a 21" monitor right now. I'm thinking of a 6x8. I've read some people don't like the larger ones.

peavey123

I'm also looking at getting a tablet...and I am pirating this thread. What are some things to consider when buying a tablet? Pressure? Size? Brand? etc...Intuos seem to be what everyone sells in my area. Thanks.

Vinylman

I'm also looking at getting a tablet...and I am pirating this thread. What are some things to consider when buying a tablet? Pressure? Size? Brand? etc...Intuos seem to be what everyone sells in my area. Thanks.

Pressure settings are "generally" changeable from within the program settings that come with the drivers.
Size: Bigger IS NOT necessarily better. It will depend on your personal work space needs. Many people have settled in the middle ground size wise. 8"X6" is a good work space. Keep in mind that the larger your tablet the more you will move to move the cursor around from element to element in any give drawing situation.

As to Brand;
I have an older Intuit, and many of the posters here love them as well. i have no knowledge of other brands, but when and if I upgrade i will most likely buy another Intuit product.

Why recreate the "wheel' if the majority of professional artist and graphic designers use the Intuit brand, what ever the configuration, I would consider that the best reference.

luggnut

if you do a lot of editing in PS, illy etc... it will pay for its self quickly in time saved. i have upgraded to the cintiq12wx... and it is worth it if you do a lot of custom stuff, such a time saver when masking or painting in PS or you can draw with the vector blob brush in illy...

peavey123

Thanks guys, I'm seriously looking at a Wacom Intuos4. Not sure if i'll need the 6" x 4" or the 9" x 6" though? I"ll be doing a lot of illustration, photo touch-ups/edits, clipping masks in PS, as well as signage.

peavey123

haha Ya I bet I wouldn't regret that Cintiq. A little out of my budget as of right now though. When I can afford the most pimped out G5 I'll score that thing.

peavey123

I ended up ordering a Wacom Intuos4 9" x 6". Picking it up in an hour. Freaking pumped! No more drawing things out by hand, scanning, then taking time vectorizing with a damn mouse. lol

peavey123

I am officially loving my new tablet!!! This is my first sketch with it. I know its pretty bad, just don't look too long. haha

Attachments

• user8109_pic916_1247794850.jpg
    user8109_pic916_1247794850.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:

Pippin Decals

Your gonna want to go as big as you can mine is a wacom bamboo 7"x11 but the area for design use is actually 7 3/4 x 6

Thanks guys, I'm seriously looking at a Wacom Intuos4. Not sure if i'll need the 6" x 4" or the 9" x 6" though? I"ll be doing a lot of illustration, photo touch-ups/edits, clipping masks in PS, as well as signage.