• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perforated Vinyl

KGraphics

Hello,

I did a 60/40 perforated vinyl installation this fall on 3 windows for a facility. They had previously had similar vinyl on their windows before but had re-branded and needed their new name and logo on the windows, so I made the new ones. He reached out to me today that it has now started curling away from the edges on the corners and sides. I checked and it has. Is there a way to salvage this or do I need to redo it? We are currently in some freezing/subzero temps, so redoing right now isn't really an option, but when it warms up I can, but I'd rather save myself the time/headache of redoing it all if I can re-adhere the corners/edge.

any tips are appreciated!

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Hello,

I did a 60/40 perforated vinyl installation this fall on 3 windows for a facility. They had previously had similar vinyl on their windows before but had re-branded and needed their new name and logo on the windows, so I made the new ones. He reached out to me today that it has now started curling away from the edges on the corners and sides. I checked and it has. Is there a way to salvage this or do I need to redo it? We are currently in some freezing/subzero temps, so redoing right now isn't really an option, but when it warms up I can, but I'd rather save myself the time/headache of redoing it all if I can re-adhere the corners/edge.

any tips are appreciated!
We use this to seal the edges.
8914ES Edge Sealing Tape

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Odds are, it's been peeling back for a while. I'm sure dirt, dust and other contaminants have now settled on it and in all seriousness, should be replaced in order to give the customer what they originally paid for.

However, did you laminate it ?? If not, perhaps, just cut a one inch border all the way around, peel the old stuff off and replace with some kinda border effect. See if they'll go for that. Overlap a 1/4" of the old perf when doing it.

msenjur

well cleaning,
laminate,
edge tape.

i cut laminate vinyl, 5mm wide strip, and protect edges with it.

but, on windows glass, first thing is good cleaning, specially in corners, there is much dirt, and those silicone fillers are like sponge for dirt and moisture.

second, laminate it, if print is on whole surface, or if window gets much sunshine.

third, if not laminated and on sun, i would use edge tape.

oh, and those curls cant be solved. replace whole thing. or try to talk them in some frame with some colored vinyl. (ofcourse, remove those dirt edge before you install frame)

96XP

I have in the past used 3m 467MP for this. Simply tape some waste paper to the sign near the corner, peel the corner back so its over the waste paper, apply the 467MP, trim the excess off and toss the paper, then peel the backer and reapply. This stuff is sticky *** all get out, hence the need for waste paper. I did this on a textured atm wrap that was failing, it held up better than the original adhesive.
Only downside is that if the perf was unlaminated, you'll have adhesive exposed through the holes, and it will collect dirt and be noticeable.
Re: "adhesive exposed through the holes, and it will collect dirt and be noticeable."

Not sure if this would help, however, I have a similar issue with rolls of Arlon 8000x being too sticky on the ends - collecting dust and sometimes the odd hair from my Golden - (and also sticking to the heated printer under the media clamps.)
My remedy (and possibly for the above issue) is, I rub the ends of the roll with Mother's Carnauba paste wax from a tin.
No more sticking and no more mess left under the clamps.

gnubler