• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Periodic Table of Typography

garyroy

This is probably old news to many of you, but this cool PDF chart shows the 100 most popular fonts, it's rank, when it was first designed and by whom, etc.
Makes a cool wall hanger as a banner or maybe print on Phot-Tex and put it up. I thought there might be some who have never seen it.

I think it was originally done by Olypress
Enjoy

Attachments

• Periodic Table of Typography.pdf
    486.5 KB · Views: 272

SignosaurusRex

Rather amusing indeed... This chart is merely an an outdated list of "Most Searched For" fonts.
A true periodic table of typefaces and fonts would blow the average modern sign-makers mind as to what and who designed the typefaces and fonts that we use today.

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Your right about that. I Just really like the periodic chart theme, with creators and dates. Its surely dated, but that's also what I like. That said... I do plan to use it for those occasional walk-ins.. who are desperate for a quick banner, and act like a deer in headlights when I ask them what kind of type style they want. It will be a nice visual to point to .

SignosaurusRex

It would be interesting to see this chart updated in 20 years. Many of the font names will be gone... as well as their respective creators. I venture to say that many of the elders (from old / or before most here where born) in typography...and their typefaces/fonts that are listed will remain. Many other so -called fontograhers ...or mere wanna-be's will come and go like the wind.
Let's face face it... using the same font(s) that everyone else has or is used to seeing is not only boring... it's blatantly inadequate!
EXPLORE! SEARCH! GET ACQUAINTED! ...with what's new, amusing and fits the bill!
Directing your customer to a particular font that is not on a "commonly searched fonts" list, is generally not only a very viable option but a welcomed breath of fresh air and value for them as well as more $$ for you. ** Note... Be careful to understand the classification and proper usage of all fonts for your projects. Miss-use can KILL!

Bengt Backhaus

I just found an error.
It says Vivaldi came 1994
1663592887310.png
But i have music instruments from late '70s with Vivaldi
1663593022850.png

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Vivaldi came about in the late 60's and became public around 1970. So, you are correct about it being around longer. However, it was copyrighted in 1993.

So many fonts are given credit to people who bring type styles back into circulation and like S'Rex said, most of the real information is forgotten or just overlooked.

Bengt Backhaus

Vivaldi came about in the late 60's and became public around 1970. So, you are correct about it being around longer. However, it was copyrighted in 1993.

So many fonts are given credit to people who bring type styles back into circulation and like S'Rex said, most of the real information is forgotten or just overlooked.
Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I kinda like that one better, too. I don't follow them, but they're nice to show a customer who hasn't a clue in times of an emergency.

Somewhere on this site, there's a thread where we all posted up, I think 10 of our favorite type styles. Avoiding the obvious jokers, it was a good cross section of nice type styles.