• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

phone book

GypsyGraphics

had two giant phone books dropped on my doorstep yesterday, all i could think of as trashed them was....
what a waste of natural resources!

MikesSigns

Phone books, Video stores, book stores are becoming technically a part of our past. Spend the money saved, attracting the customer base your looking for, contractors, businesses. My Chamber has been a big help with the locals. Good Luck

Mike

Mike V.

One way to determine if something will work is to look at yourself and your friends habits.

Do they use this or that?

Yea the Paper yellow pages are a waste of time. I know I use the online YP alot of times to narrow down my search for businesses to a local area.

Colin

I'd say that at this particular point in time, it might be a bit premature to completely ditch a presence in the YPs. Yes, the phonebook is slowly becoming a museum piece, but depending on one's particular area, I suspect that there are still many people (our potential customers) who do regularly reach for the phonebook.

I have have pared it down from a display ad to a Super-Bold listing with blue web address, but I sense that not being there at all might be unwise. Ya kinda gotta be there. I think that they've shot themselves in the foot by charging exorbitant fees, and they haven't come down at all recently to compete with other forms.

Colin

Unbelievable timing. Moments after my last post here on this thread, I looked on our doorstep and found our new phonebooks.

They are thinner than last years.

signswi

A lot of old people in our county, boss won't drop our phone book ads yet. I'm not even sure I know how to use one.

put an ad in the p/b and spanish p/b last year and nothing so far! waste of money. getting a decent website made right now, seems to be the way to do things.

Colin

Great article. One thing jumped out at me:

........"designed to educate the public about the waste created by the continued production of phone books, 165,000 tons of which they say end up in landfills every year. "

Don't you recycle in the States?

Mosh

I dropped my ads long ago! When I didn't re-new my ad the lady was SO rude to me and was telling me how I had just decided to lose business. HA HA HA!!! I wonder if she even still has a job. I can see in 7-10 years the printed phonebook will be a very RARE thing!!!

signswi

Great article. One thing jumped out at me:

........"designed to educate the public about the waste created by the continued production of phone books, 165,000 tons of which they say end up in landfills every year. "

Don't you recycle in the States?

Most states are pretty apathetic to recycling and individuals even more so, it's infuriating.

Now all the "books" are trying to sell small business people on pre-built template websites and SEO voodoo and it's just pathetic, as they're completely out of their depth in those areas. Doing a ton of harm in their quest to stay relevant for another few years (pointlessly).

inthesignbiz

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that phone books are a waste.

We have two in our area that fight for ads.
Just for fun, I scheduled them both to show up today at the same time.
It was a hoot listening to them both tell me that they had the greatest product.

I suggested a wrestling match to see who would get my measly line ad.
They didn't go for it.

I told them that advertising with them worked out better for them than me.
The sales lady asked my how I figured that.
I pointed at her brand new white cadillac and then at my old Ford pick-up.