• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photo splits?? on canvas

knucklehead

I've been requested (volunteered) to make a set of printed canvases for my sisters friend. They want it to be the one large photo, split into three mounted canvases. I don't even know the correct term for them, to do a search. What do ya called em'? Anyhow, I was wandering if anyone had a link to a tutorial or something, showing how to set them up for printing? I know they have to be tiled, but how does one get the print to wrap around the frame, and still look like a solid photo from the front? I'm smelling some kind of long winded math equation coming my way. Just trying to get a little info, before I go experimentin', and wasting material. I do have some old vinyl I'm gonna do the experimenting on. Thanks for any help, Mike

And Wishing everyone a Happy Christmas, and Merry (and SAFE) New Years.

Travis Stanley

I use corel but im sure that photoshop will do the same feature. If you create A rectangle the size of the print you need. Then divide it into thirds. after that you can create a powerclip and place the image in the rectangle. break the rectangle apart giving you the three panals you need. when you get the three panels you can adjust for overlap on the sides of your print. Hope this helps.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7_90-orrjs

Last edited:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
After you divide up the original into the three images you want...

Decide how large a margin you need to accommodate your stretcher bars or whatever mounting method you're going to use.

For example say you need a 1" margin. You duplicate the left and right 1" of the image, flip them horizontally, and add them to the original image.

Then do the same thing with the top and bottom this time flipping the images vertically.

Now you have your original image expanded to be 2" larger and, since you mirrored the added margin images, no unsightly lines since the colors should match perfectly.

It sounds complicated but I can do it in Corel PhotoPaint in a few seconds.

sfr table hockey

I would just divide or crop your picture into 3 separate files in widths that you want and then in photoshop go into image and canvas size. You can add a boarder around your image on all sides and just use a color. I tend to use a 1 inch black to boarder my canvas so that when you stretch you have a black edge added to the print and not just the white canvas. If your image was let say 16 x 20 you would add 2 inches to both numbers so that you enter 18 x 22 and you will get an exact 1 inch boarder all around with any color you choose. You can also buy art tape that is used to boarder your canvas edge but the printed color is better.

Then to do a Gallery Wrap.

This is similar to what Travis was saying using a rectange (I think)

Also Bob's idea of the strip of reversed image is a cool effect but a little harder to do but once you get the idea, worth the extra effort.

knucklehead

Thanks Bob, and Travis. I think I'm wanting to do it the way Bob said, they're wanting the print wrapping around the frame, not just a black or canvas color, I think. I'm a little confused right now on flipping the edges, but I'm gonna try it in a little bit, and see what happens. Glad to see I can do in in Corel, cause I don't have PS.

Thanks to Harold for clearing up the name of this style, Tripdic. Works for me.

knucklehead

Well, I tried doing it in PhotoPaint, couldn't figure out how (maybe Bob would please elaborate). Plan B was doing some powerclipping, and then some cropping to get the outside edgse's. That's pretty much a real pain in the butt doing that way, and still shows a line where the pieces were put back together. I'll work on it some more this evening.

Travis Stanley

If you follow the link in the second post you shouldn't have any problem. You could do a practice piece by landscaping a 8.5 x 11 on paper to save on material.