• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photography Logo

HaroldDesign

What the shweeze are you talking about... I was condescending! I think you were being sarcastic... But it's to get you to think.

As I told a few others on here... stick to the "design process"... design is more thinking than pretty pictures... especially logo design. You ask a series of questions to see what might work.... you are designing logos like they are trying on a dress.

On your situation, you might try made up design jobs to show your potential (college student portfolios are almost all conceptual)... try working on designs for newbies on this site for portfolio pieces. But on real work, use the process...
:thumb:

Deaton Design

Heres a couple ideas I came up with.
If you use the initials in any way, seems to me to go bold would be better.
Course, I like bold, thats just me, lol.

Attachments

• jdp1.jpg
    jdp1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 83
  • jdp2.jpg
    jdp2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 84

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Here are quick designs after giving it some thought... one is an obscure reference to "look at the birdie" saying photographers used to do. One is sorta pinched from one of my favorite designers and modernized.

Some are cute, some corporate, some literal...

After thinking it, just started drawing it out as fast as it dropped out of my butt.

Pretty pictures, if this is a made up job, some are probably portfolio worthy, but if this is a real job, without a design brief, it's not real "design"

Attachments

• john david photo.jpg
    john david photo.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 90

signswi

Have you played 20 questions with the client? Have you researched their competition? Have you done 20-100 sketches of potentials in order to find 10 or so to develop further?

You can't just make up something and throw it at the client and expect good results. Graphic Design, as Rick pointed out, is a process. Otherwise it's just screwing around in Illustrator and that doesn't serve your client or yourself.

Colin

Have you played 20 questions with the client? Have you researched their competition? Have you done 20-100 sketches of potentials in order to find 10 or so to develop further?

You can't just make up something and throw it at the client and expect good results. Graphic Design, as Rick pointed out, is a process. Otherwise it's just screwing around in Illustrator and that doesn't serve your client or yourself.

Bingo!

HaroldDesign

I know this. Unfortunately there is a middle man who should not be serving as one, and I can not go around him. I can not attempt to brand him without further information. That is why producing anything more for him to see is dead. I had the feeling right off the bat that this individual isn't ready for a logo, as the information simply isn't there. Probably a guy with a nice camera that wants to look professional, and doesn't know who for yet. However, I can turn this into something for myself if things go that route...

HaroldDesign

As far as concepts go, my presentation has sucked. Hell, next to the excellent designers here everything has and always will suck. Sometimes I'm inspired, and sometimes I just throw up for a while and think I should quit trying while I'm behind. I know better than to put much for time into initial ideas, but outside of the occasional round-table meeting for work other than my own I have done nothing in the way of presenting my own work professionally in quite some time.
It's high time to try again, and I'm going to clean up this mess from the inside out.
There are many great designers here, but I'd like to single out Rick to give an extra special thanks to. That you took ANY time to try to make me see the root and not the fruit is much appreciated!!
~ Caleb

HaroldDesign

:doh::banghead: .....kinda like fishing without bait?
YES! Four minnows left, and I'm not going to the bait shop for more without getting a glimpse of what's biting. I may not be setting the hook right, but I'm certain it isn't the Walleye I thought might be running through. It or myself is bound to be a sucker. I'll walk up a way and try around the bend.