• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop files between mac/pc help!

Bigcat_hunter

I create all my graphics on a mac. I rip both on a mac and pc. Only about 25% of my psd files from my mac will import on my pc. It usually says "file format not supported" or "not a psd file". This is starting to drive me crazy. I need both my printers running full time. Why is Flexi doing this? a psd file is a psd file so why wont't work on a pc?

Please help!

Bigcat_hunter

Never mind. I think I figured it out. If I save the files with no layers they seem to import ok. Only took me about four months of trying different thing and it wasn't until I posted this that I tried that and it worked. Go figure.

C

ColoPrinthead

Just curious, but was the file coming into windows with it's extension? eg: .PSD
I've never had an issue unless it was extension related so I'm curious.

Bigcat_hunter

Ok I thought I had figured it out but I haven't. Why wont flexi read my psd files? If I remove the psd it wont read it at all. Some files work and some don't. This really sucks.

WI

IME, lots of programs won't read Adobe proprietary file-formats. PDFs are a notable exception, but then they're designed to the end of broad compatibility. Still, try feeding an .ai file into your garden variety RIP and you're not going to get too far.

If this worked before, did it stop working right after you updated something, or possibly an auto-update that you missed? Have you tried saving the files as layered TIFFs?

Bigcat_hunter

IME, lots of programs won't read Adobe proprietary file-formats. PDFs are a notable exception, but then they're designed to the end of broad compatibility. Still, try feeding an .ai file into your garden variety RIP and you're not going to get too far.

If this worked before, did it stop working right after you updated something, or possibly an auto-update that you missed? Have you tried saving the files as layered TIFFs?

Can you contour cut a layered tiff? Never mind. You can't I just tried it. So I have thousands of raster photoshop files that need to be contour cut. What other format can I change them to if a psd file won't work. Man I hate pc's.

WI

Not so far as I know. Any plotter I've ever been around requires vector input.

In Illustrator, there's a tool called "Live Trace" that generates vector outlines from raster images, having never used Flexi I'm not sure if there's anything in that application that would be comparable.

omgsideburns

Same version of adobe on each computer? I've never had a problem working between my mac and pc with my adobe files.

Edit: Oh.. if you're having problems opening your psds in Flexi.. that sounds like a Flexi problem. Not a mac to pc or adobe issue.

Tim Kingston

Do you check the box " maximize compatibility" when saving your .PSD files? Also, I would use a flattened copy, as you did try. One more thing, perhaps converting the files to an 8 bit /channel ( in case you scanned it at 16bit or something). In PS, it's under "Image" "Mode", check 8 bit /channel, for your fattened copy to save. You probably would have noticed this though when trying to save a jpg and couldn't.

Baz

Opening a .psd file in Flexi?? You'd be better off flattening your artwork and save as a .tiff or .jpg and whatever vector path you have in your .psd file save it as a separate .eps or .ai file.

In Flexi, open up your .eps or .ai file and import your .tiff or .jpg ... Set your vector path as a contour cut object and Bob's your uncle.

LittleSnakey

You'd do this when the object was completely created with photoshop and has no vectors. Flexi handles it just fine. I also do it your way when I use a vector, import it into photoshop to render an effect then I save as a jpg cause the file size is smaller and I have a path to countour cut with. Bob is my dad.