• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Phototex seam double cut issue.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
one last thought is maybe its the wrong type of phototex for your printer? (waterbased vs solvent)

Ahh...hadn't thought of that. They may indeed be scraping off ink when they cut, if they're running solvent on a latex material.

Photo Tex

So I am thinking also it is the knife scrapping the ink off (although I have not really heard of this over the years) so we recommend a sharp pointed single blade knife also. Use something against the knife to guide it and not freelance the knife. Send me your e-mail and I will send you a video walterjr@phototexgroup.com of installers doing this method.
Also , The Photo Tex will not shrink so yes you can butt the material or we now offer a OPAQUE block-out so if you do overlap the seem is way harder to detect.

Attachments

• exacto knife.jpg
    exacto knife.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 120

CarNate69

The biggest issue we see with phototex is how receptive it is to dirt or any kind of oil from your hands, if we touch it, we have to wear rubber gloves or it will ruin the product instantly with finger oils / dirt from your hands you didn't even know existed, even after hand washing it still wants to melt the oils off your fingers for some reason - which is very disappointing. It's impossible to wipe clean if it does get dirty. It's also incredibly difficult to ship because of this, and it's poor scratch resistance adds to the difficulties. Great idea on a product, and it does work well when applied, but it's still lacking in a lot of ways for "normal" use. One thing you also have to be careful of, is when machine cutting, if the material bends, binds or does anything other than go perfectly straight through the machine, it will crinkle the backing paper and destroy the print. It's very odd, but shows how sensitive it really is.

Gene@mpls

So I am thinking also it is the knife scrapping the ink off (although I have not really heard of this over the years) so we recommend a sharp pointed single blade knife also. Use something against the knife to guide it and not freelance the knife. Send me your e-mail and I will send you a video walterjr@phototexgroup.com of installers doing this method.
Also , The Photo Tex will not shrink so yes you can butt the material or we now offer a OPAQUE block-out so if you do overlap the seem is way harder to detect.

Walter- the rest of us would like to see the video please. Thanks Gene

Photo Tex

This should not happen so sending you a private e-mail to see how we can address this and fix it as you should have no trouble touching the material during install - Walter

QUOTE=stickercuttingcom;1221275]The biggest issue we see with phototex is how receptive it is to dirt or any kind of oil from your hands, if we touch it, we have to wear rubber gloves or it will ruin the product instantly with finger oils / dirt from your hands you didn't even know existed, even after hand washing it still wants to melt the oils off your fingers for some reason - which is very disappointing. It's impossible to wipe clean if it does get dirty. It's also incredibly difficult to ship because of this, and it's poor scratch resistance adds to the difficulties. Great idea on a product, and it does work well when applied, but it's still lacking in a lot of ways for "normal" use. One thing you also have to be careful of, is when machine cutting, if the material bends, binds or does anything other than go perfectly straight through the machine, it will crinkle the backing paper and destroy the print. It's very odd, but shows how sensitive it really is.[/QUOTE]

Photo Tex

So here is the video and you can see no white line after cutting so please anyone e-mail me direct walterjr@phototexgroup if you have any questions and we can work together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHj-xkNHjQ OVERLAP - 5:50 mark – he cuts through both overlap layers (note he cuts in the middle of the overlap, so if it is 1” overlap he cuts ½”) – splitting the overlap difference. You can cut just through the top layer only (as to not damage a wall) Cutting through both layers you have to make sure your cutting in the MIDDLE of the overlap. Cutting just the top you can fudge over to make less of a seem (more like 1/4” down from 1”)