• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PhotoTex vs Mactac Roodle

K2

I am doing a permanent mural on a wall that is approximately 8' tall by 16' wide and I called my rep and he suggested PhotoTex and/or Mactac Roodle. There is a pretty good price difference between the two and I don't want to cheap the customer nor do I want to overspend for something that is equal quality. I have never done a wall wrap other then some personal kids stuff. So my question is, Mactac or Phototex?

The wall is lightly textured and I told him to paint it a high gloss but was then told ,no, to have him paint it a flat. Any suggestions for this also.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a better alternative to the adhesive fabric solution from the other guys that would be a little more cost effective at about $0.72 sq.ft. The time to install with adhesive fabric vs. the Mactac will be significant, the mactac may be a little less expensive but I think the time of install will makeup for the savings.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Give BigFishDM a holler; it appears you are new to this type of install, as these two products are NOTHING alike.

TheSnowman

Phototex has been amazing for me. Probably used it 6-7 years or so now. We have used both the standard stuff, and they now have a high tack that I've used (installs a little harder because it grabs more, but still totally repositionable) and love it. We cut it too, just cut slow. Prints real nice. Here's a convenience store we did with the high tack a couple months ago.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8728.jpg
    IMG_8728.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 424

K2

Thanks for all the help. Sounds like PhotoTex is the way to go. I will report back when I complete it.

CanuckSigns

Phototex is good stuff, but keep in mind that if you need to be able to clean the graphic, such as in a hospital you can't do that with phototex.

But if the wall mural is permanant, why not just go with a good quality vinyl such as IJ40 or even IJ180?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Phototex is good stuff, but keep in mind that if you need to be able to clean the graphic, such as in a hospital you can't do that with phototex.

But if the wall mural is permanant, why not just go with a good quality vinyl such as IJ40 or even IJ180?

We've had this (IJ180) fail more than once. Very dependent on the type of paint. A lot of new paints have something in them that repel dirt. Guess what... they like to repel vinyl too.

CanuckSigns

We've had this (IJ180) fail more than once. Very dependent on the type of paint. A lot of new paints have something in them that repel dirt. Guess what... they like to repel vinyl too.

Yes we've had this happen as well, any paint that says it's "easy clean, scubable" or anything like that usually has teflon or silicon added to it to stop things like crayons from sticking, but it also stops vinyl from sticking. The same applies to "Low-VOC" paint, there is something different about it that makes vinyl stick less well to it.

If I'm doing wall graphics, I generally tell the client to go to the paint store and buy the cheapest semi-gloss paint they have and give the wall a quick coat.