• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Phototex

Vinylman

Caleb,
I use Photoex regularly, and find no use for masking it.
What application are you considering that would lead you to use a mask on it?

HaroldDesign

Photox Pre-mask

My purpose for pre-masking phototex is the same as other applications that contain art which has multiple elements that need to be positioned properly, such as lettering. I have customers that are not interested in aligning multiple elements in the art, but want to apply it themselves since they're on the other side of the country. It's the re-positionable properties with no residue that they like so a calendered vinyl or other such materials don't have as much appeal.

Vinylman

Caleb:

I'm still not following your process here.

If you are using Phototex, are you printing directly to it?

If you are printing directly to Phototex there is no need to stack it for color registration. just print and cut the outline. All the artwork should be contained in the print file?

If you are using Phototex for any other application please explain it so we can be of more help.

HaroldDesign

That's right. Picture contour cutting 30 circles all 1" round and 1" apart, and they need to be applied as such. I want to cut, weed and pre-mask so I can apply them all off the same pre-mask sheet at the same time. I do this all the time, but with the Photo-tex whatever I've tried to apply to it that is tacky enough to stick to it is too sticky to release from the phototex after applying the images.

Vinylman

Well it depends on the transfer masking material that you use. If the job is large enough to cover the expense you might try a medium or light tack transfer tape. It is always a challenge to get the tack of the transfer tape to be strong enough to pick up the graphic, and yet release well and not pull up the graphic after application.
Perhaps you can get your supplier to give you several samples of different tack so you can try them out on the Phototex.

If this is a one time job, you will be taking on a lot of added expense buying a roll of transfer tape for just this job.

WestcoastSigns

That's right. Picture contour cutting 30 circles all 1" round and 1" apart, and they need to be applied as such. I want to cut, weed and pre-mask so I can apply them all off the same pre-mask sheet at the same time. I do this all the time, but with the Photo-tex whatever I've tried to apply to it that is tacky enough to stick to it is too sticky to release from the phototex after applying the images.

Caleb, how are you cutting the photo tex? Such a small cut AND in a circle seems like it would be hard to cut. I ask because as I'm reading up on photo tex in this forum and most seem to have difficulty cutting it - pulling, fraying etc.

Any tips you can pass on? I'm waiting for my photo tex samples to come. Sounds like awesome product.

TheSnowman

I have no trouble cutting it, but everything I do is a closed shape. If you had to transfer letters, you'd better have something MAJORLY low tack.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I may be missing something but if you want removable solid color, use Oracal 631 exhibitor vinyl.

survivor

Photo Tex Cutting

Hi,
What blade and cutter are you using to cut the photo tex paper?

Thanks

ucmj22

I have had success using my 45º blade and 225g pressure. still might have some hangers on the corners I have to cut by hand, but any more, and it goes through the backing, and any less and it doesn't go through the phototex

survivor

ucmj22
Thanks for the info would a Puma III cutter and the 45 degree cleancut blade work. Also what cutter and blade setup do you have. I here people having trouble cuttin, but I have not seen many solutions.

Thanks,
John

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I've cut Phototex many times without issue on my Graphtec CE5000-60 with a standard 45 and 60 degree cleancut blades. The 60 does a better job but both work. Just do some test cuts and find a good pressure setting.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea about the Puma III. The cleancut blades are better than what comes with the machine.

CE5000-60 Windows 7 64bit? YES. I'm currently using Adobe CS5 (Illustrator) on Windows 7 x64 running the drivers provided by Graphtec.

I have used Wasach rip when I need to contour cut but usually I just use Illustrator and the driver for it directly.

jasonx

Have you guys tried using a lowtack transfer tape on phototex? I'm guessing not. You more need a medium tack or high tack hasn't tried that yet.

I use Clear R Tape and it doesn't pick up phototex at all.

I had to use regular vinyl for a small project I did for my brothers girlfriend to transfer the graphics to the wall and then slowly peel the vinyl off and leave the phototex behind.

I think its because its a fabric it makes it hard for transfer tapes to stick to.

If you find something let us know.