• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pinging ports

letterman7

Ok, I admit it - I'm no computer wizard. My main computer's motherboard fried last night, and I'm forced to put an older model into the line until I get my files transferred from the other one. Having to do so, I had to reload all my software for the business - Flexi, Corel, ect. I'm running into a weird problem trying to get my Falcon Outdoor back up and running. Flexi is loaded and working; the cable from the printer is hooked to the serial port on back of the computer (desktop printer is a USB), but when I try to print it says that the port isn't open (LPT1). OK, try the other suggested ports in Flexi and same thing. Hmmm...get into the device manager and click the properties for the Falcon and it says it's connected to port LPT1.4. Wah?? The test files I'm sending seem to be getting to the printer - the 'data received' LED is blinking and the screen reads 'convert port1' but nothing is happening. Now, the printer was shut down at the time the motherboard took a dive, so I'm not too concerned about any kind of spike back to the printer. So, in laymans' terms, how do I ping the printer and get this thing to talk with the computer? :banghead:

Thanks guys!

Rick

randya

ping is a network protocol, so you would have to have a print server (like an SEH box) and connect by network.

I would unplug your serial cable and examine it before reinstalling.

convert port 1 usually means the data is corrupted.

It is possible that a spike went back to printer and took out part the serial interface.

I think I would delete the LPT port in Device Manager and let window reinstall it, THEN plug the printer in and try again.

letterman7

I'll try that tomorrow, Randy. The weird thing is the screen always read that when it was printing jobs, and the jobs, apart from user error, were flawless. On the off chance a spike did plow back and take out part of the serial board, is that a user-replaceable part or might there be a work-around for it?

Last edited:

letterman7

Looks like everything is fine. Weirdly enough, deleting the port, turning the computer off and back on then attaching the printer seemed to clear the error. The printer screen still reads 'Convert [port1]', but it's printing just fine. Thanks, Randy!