• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pipe labels appropriate sizes?

RG

Is there any formula for figuring the size of labels to go on pipes. For example, if you have a pipe that is 2" in diameter, what is the best height for a label to go on this 2" pipe?

rjssigns

What type of pipe? Is it conduit for electrical, water piping, flamable gas..? There are codes that cover it all, and spec what is, and is not acceptable in a commercial environment.

RG

I'm doing these on my Edge printer for another sign shop. All I know about the type pipe is that acid in flowing through it. And, the labels will not wrap all the way around the pipes. Labels will be on one side only. Looks like for a 2" diameter pipe, they are asking for 1" tall labels. Is that about right?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Why are you struggling with this? If it's a 2" dia. pipe, then it is 2" tall looking at it from the side. So sure, 1" decal will fit. So will 2". So will 1/2". Make it whatever the customer wants. There's no universal law stating what size sticker goes on a pipe. Lay it out on your computer and see what looks best.

TXFB.INS

just to make sure I am understanding, you are producing stickers for another sign shop and they then selling it to the end user....

so why are you devoting effort to this? it is their customer, and their responsibility to spec out the job and give you all of the needed information (material, sizing, qty, files, etc...) you produce what they order. end of story

CanuckSigns

just to make sure I am understanding, you are producing stickers for another sign shop and they then selling it to the end user....

so why are you devoting effort to this? it is their customer, and their responsibility to spec out the job and give you all of the needed information (material, sizing, qty, files, etc...) you produce what they order. end of story

+1

CreatedDesigns

There are indeed pipe marking laws and to say there is not is very poor judgment. As to what the laws are for said pipe you need to know what is in the pipe and the size of the outside diameter of the pipe or the insulation diameter if installed.

dgerb

"2 inch pipe" can be a trade name referring to the nominal pipe size or an actual dimension. A PVC, HDPE, copper, stainless schedule 80, etc, etc, type pipe will have a different outside diameter. All you need to care about is the outside dimension for the decal size. There are standards for the letter size and marker width.

If you are printing regulatory labels, which it doesn't sound like, here's the label standard that everyone I've printed process piping labels for cared about: ASME A13.1-2015 Scheme Identification of Piping Systems
I know OSHA cites this ANSI spec for their piping labels, and I believe MSHA does as well, so you're covered if you meet ANSI.