• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

placing window decals on the inside to show out, what is needed?

VicoDrive

I may have a client that wants a large window decal for her shop made and Im thinking she will want it on the inside to be seen from the outside. Im not completely sure how this is done. I figure you print it out on normal adhesive vinyl then put a two sided laminate overtop to stick to the window. I actually have that stuff and I think I understand how to use it but what do you do about the back of the decal thats seen from the inside? I would think you take off the factory backing which has all the logos of the brand of the vinyl then replace it with something else? Just a little fuzzy on some of the details.

player

You can print on clear in reverse, then laminate white to it.

I got an email from a supplier recently for a window perf that you can print on the adhesive side. I am not sure how that works...

rjssigns

There is a non-adhesive window perf made for that. You print on the face then use double sided tape to hold in place. I know Fellers stocks it just can't remember the name.

VicoDrive

Ah, printing on clear makes more sense! What about if its a cutout graphic? Can you print on clear, then place on white backing and put back in for it to cut out properly? Im guessing it would

player

Ah, printing on clear makes more sense! What about if its a cutout graphic? Can you print on clear, then place on white backing and put back in for it to cut out properly? Im guessing it would

I don't think so. The image will be hidden by the backing paper.

VicoDrive

I have some window cling which I was thinking might work, then put the white backing on that. Not sure they want it to be removable though

J Hill Designs

all you need to do is make sure you dont cover your registrations marks with white, and it will cut it just fine

bulldozer

I have some window cling which I was thinking might work, then put the white backing on that. Not sure they want it to be removable though

yea, i thought about the permanent thing after posting. if it doesn't need to be permanent, use white static cling.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
All valid ideas but I still like what we do for this specific sort of thing - but contour cutting does throw a wrench into things. We print on cheap poster paper, then laminate the printed side with mounting adhesive. There are 2 types of mounting adhesive - permanent/permanent and permanent/removable. For windows we use the one with the removable adhesive, and the perm/perm for second surface prints on acrylic and whatnot where we know the image is a permanent thing.

I don't think so. The image will be hidden by the backing paper.

I've extended the crop marks out to the very edge of the material and placed a slightly narrower white backer between the crop marks. Works fine. It gets a little confusing when you first do it about mirroring the image, etc... but it's not that big of a deal.

BTW window shock is one of the window perfs that you can print on the adhesive side. I haven't sold a lot of it, it's not cheap but it does work as advertised.

Word of caution about window shock, your shop has to be spotless since you are printing on the adhesive side. It also can be a little tricky to collect if your printing roll to roll but not impossible. Other than that, it will leave a little ink/adhesive residue on the window but it cleans off easily with some adhesive remover.

Malkin

You can print on clear in reverse, then laminate white to it.

This is the usual way.

Be aware, however, that many people (at least my customers....) find the white showing on the inside to be unacceptable. They want the coloring of the image/logo to show on the inside (even though it is reversed)
Customer education goes a long way here.

VicoDrive

This is the usual way.

Be aware, however, that many people (at least my customers....) find the white showing on the inside to be unacceptable. They want the coloring of the image/logo to show on the inside (even though it is reversed)
Customer education goes a long way here.

I thought about that too, she did mention she would like it see through somewhat. I showed her what we have on the door which is basically white orajet but the sun shines directly at it. From the inside you see the color come through but when its darker, you just get the white. I showed her a window cling label I have which is transparent but of course, that cant really be seen from the outside unless its brighter on the inside. Might have to do some samples for her to try out

boxerbay

We print reverse on clear and lam with white. We also contour cut them with no problem. All we do is place post it note squares over the registration marks as it is rolling in to the laminator. Then with an exacto we trim the post its out. We use ij10 and its thin so you can see the front logo in a sunny window.