• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plasma cutter for aluminum?

Stacey K

I like making signs
My high school son is buying a plasma cutter (cheaper one) and I was thinking...currently I get my aluminum sheets cut by local shop or I cut them with my circular saw. Will the plasma cutter make a nice cut on aluminum for him to cut me some blanks to keep around the shop? What about for half round signs etc.? He's buying it more for vehicles and for making some crafty items but maybe we could use it for signs too? Just a thought...thanks!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You have to have a fine tip on it and really dial it in. Generally, they kind of melt the aluminum so you have clean up to do with a flap wheel. That may give you some issues with the vinyl adhering on the edges

rjssigns

My experience plasma cutting aluminum is to start with new consumables. This focuses the plasma stream and keeps slag from forming on the back side of the cut.
I have an older Miller Cutmate and get about 10' nice and clean in 0.125" to 0.186" thick aluminum.
As soon as I see my cuts getting janky I stop and put in new parts. Much easier than filing or grinding slag.
Very important to not let the tip rest on the material. There needs to be a tiny gap for it to cut properly.
It comes down to experimenting with your rig and see what it likes.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Sounds like something my son can experiment with, can only make him better - and possibly help me in the process! Thanks guys!!