• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Please help me evaluate the damages of this accident

hazartilirot

Wow, and just out of curiosity, was that damper original? How old was it when that happened? In my case, I caused the problem because of something I did, anyways, that printhead manifold should be sealed somehow, we're just a damper rupture away of burning the head and the main PCB.
And yes, tech said fuses were ok, and the cables too. I'll keep posting updates and photos until I get this solved, so everyone can learn from me what NOT TO DO lol

Yes. All dampers were original though not new. It happened in the middle of filling up inks.

Lady Who

Huzzah, I was hoping this post would start to turn around! Keep the updates coming Lady Who!
Yeah, I surely will. It's not easy to get out of such a mess when you don't have the money to get a new printhead and a loan is not an option. And I'm not counting on that used printhead, so, I'm preparing plan B

Lady Who

UPDATE: you know that guy who told me he had a used printhead sitting there, which was returned from a client, and could be tested on my machine? Well, today he asked some employee of him to call me and tell that "he tested the head already and it's not working" and it could burn something in my machine, so, he'd rather not selling that one, but they have new printheads if I like. They're obvious lying.
Now I'm not sure if I should pay and allow the other tech to repair the main board... what if that board is fine and they're all trying to scam me?

netsol and someone who can help, please tell me: would the machine still turn on if a couple of circuits in the main board were really damaged? How this machine is expected to behave when everything is in order and you turn it on without the printhead?
Mine was displaying the error HEAD ROOM 12B and now I don't know if it was because of the missing printhead or due to the supposed damaged pair of circuits in the mainboard :confused:

Black Star

Not A New Member
I don't have any answers or advice but I do feel really bad for you and I hope you can get this resolved.....

hazartilirot

Well, obviously any case is different. However, when we had yellow leakage with our Roland RF-640 the tech came to us and he checked circuit/transistor. He had a multi-meter for the purpose. Once he checked transistors he came to the conclusion that it was a printhead.

Anyway.... if one of your transistor has been burnt. as a result a new printhead (or used one) won't print... The procedure would be as usual the difference would be ink won't come out.

Ask anyone for help in the forum. There are definitely people who is going to buy a new printhead since they have defective one. The only thing they should think of is how to preserve the printhead from drying.

Tipgypsy

Hello there netsol Tipgypsy 2B MikePatterson
Update on this case:

The non official Mimaki tech came here, he removed the printhead and said it can't be recovered, as expected. Then we turned the machine on (system hault error was gone) and got [head room 12b] error, which is normal according to him, since the printhead was removed, then he tested the boards, slider board was ok, but when he tested the, diodes I guess, (those pairs of silver metal drops behind the board) in the main board, 2 pairs of them was returning zero in the multimeter, so, he put a possibility that no Mimaki techs did before: to fix the main PCB instead of buying a new one. The PCB was sent to the tech and he confirmed it's possible to fix it and it'll cost about 120% the price of a damper. There was no visible damage to the board.

The tech partne's has a used printhead, but he's not sure if it's working. He would try it in my machine at no cost, but first I'll have to fix the main PCB and get new dampers.

So, what do you think? If those boards can be fixed, why official Mimaki techs here don't even consider this possibility, they always say "buy a new one" to whatever the parts? Is it just to sell more parts or it's because, for example, a fixed PCB will put the machine at risk or something?
UPDATE: you know that guy who told me he had a used printhead sitting there, which was returned from a client, and could be tested on my machine? Well, today he asked some employee of him to call me and tell that "he tested the head already and it's not working" and it could burn something in my machine, so, he'd rather not selling that one, but they have new printheads if I like. They're obvious lying.
Now I'm not sure if I should pay and allow the other tech to repair the main board... what if that board is fine and they're all trying to scam me?

netsol and someone who can help, please tell me: would the machine still turn on if a couple of circuits in the main board were really damaged? How this machine is expected to behave when everything is in order and you turn it on without the printhead?
Mine was displaying the error HEAD ROOM 12B and now I don't know if it was because of the missing printhead or due to the supposed damaged pair of circuits in the mainboard :confused:
I would go back to plan A - Netsol detailed it perfectly and its the least expensive way if your very careful - If your uncomfortable with tech best to unplug it and wait till you can get someone who knows the machine well . I would not write off the head or the board yet . If your lucky you can clean the ink residue, dry the machine and reassemble and it will be fine If you have issues you may have to replace parts and there is no way around that . Find a reputable company to work with or get a reference from other companies for a tech that knows the machine . If you use these printers to earn a living your going to need a good service tech or learn how to do it yourself - Even brand new printers run into problems . Start with the dealer who sold you the machine and ask about a yearly maintenance contract . They may be able to talk you thru troubleshooting the problem and help narrow it to a part .

Lady Who

Anyway.... if one of your transistor has been burnt. as a result a new printhead (or used one) won't print... The procedure would be as usual the difference would be ink won't come out.
Thank you hazartilirot . But do you think something bad can happen to the head, besides not printing? I mean, if I get the mainboard repaired, then the printhead installed and maybe the mainboard wasn't properly repaired, could it cause the new printhead to burn? Or it would just not print in worst chance?
Oh, and by the way, my printhead was destroyed anyway, it was soaked in ink, later I'll create a thread with its "autopsy" photos

Lady Who

Hey Tipgypsy !
The tech who came here did exactly what Netsol said, when he removed the printhead, there was ink pouring from it and he said the printhead couln't be fixed. Later, I unmounted what I could and cleaned a bit more, it's pretty clean now, see photos. The problem is I should have done this immediately after the accident, before the system hault and 187 HDC SLEW RATE errors.

I found another Mimaki tech (third one) and I think I'll get the mainboard back and ask him to check it, still thinking. The dealer who sold the machine is not an option, because I moved and now they're more than 400 miles away. And also I don't trust them, because they charged me the price of 5 hours to prepare my machine to move, that washing procedure... but it was so fast and so simple that I felt stolen. They should have charged me by hours like they do with all clients and not the price of 5 hours for a 1 and half hour service.

Finding a good tech has been a challenge for me. There's just a few options around here and can't trust anymore that Mimaki guy who said my cap didn't need to be replaced after 1 year and half. Also another day he was removing the dampers with the machine powered on (stand by mode) and I was the one who told him it was better idea to unplug it because the machine could try to refresh at any moment.

Then, a second Mimaki tech who came months ago said he wouldn't even touch the dampers because since one magenta line was missing already, removing the damper to check it could break the head internally, which I'd found later to be untrue.

As you can see, I'm really trying to find a good tech, but I always end up here asking you for help, to avoid being scammed. And I thank you all.

Attachments

• then.jpg
    then.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
  • now.jpg
    now.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 139
  • mem-board.jpg
    mem-board.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

hazartilirot

Thank you hazartilirot . But do you think something bad can happen to the head, besides not printing? I mean, if I get the mainboard repaired, then the printhead installed and maybe the mainboard wasn't properly repaired, could it cause the new printhead to burn? Or it would just not print in worst chance?
Oh, and by the way, my printhead was destroyed anyway, it was soaked in ink, later I'll create a thread with its "autopsy" photos
Once again. Buy a used print head for $50-100. You need a couple of nozzles in each channel. Companies that buy a new print head just through the old one to a bin. Why not helping you instead? Usually when one changes a print head it is also a good practice to change dampers and a cap top. Instead of throwing to a bin ask them to gag each dumper and leave them in the print head with inks so that it won't dry. Then, I would have taken a cap top, moistured it with a solvent to make it wet a little bit, make it airtight with a syringe and seal the bunch with a couple of hair elastic. It should hold everything together. If you need anything of those, go to digiprint and buy chinese dampers and cap top - they are cheap and exactly for the purpose. However don't use it in every day life. I would suggest buying original only.

Last edited:

timalh3

i am new here and would like to know if anyone has come across a problem like this my jv 33-160 was printing fine and i left it for a day and then i heard it making a hissing sound as if it was try to send pressure to the head when i look at the screen it was blank and i could not turn it off from the front switch so i had to turn off using the main power switch when i turned it on again it boot up fine did a test draw and the black heads fall out so i did a cleaning and as soon as it finish the cleaning it went back to boot mode i test the head and main boards it reads the right ohms but the slider board when tested it gives different readings on the pins so i would like to know if anyone had this problem before and can tell me what parts in would need or do i just replace the slider board thanks any help would be great fully accepted

hazartilirot

i am new here and would like to know if anyone has come across a problem like this my jv 33-160 was printing fine and i left it for a day and then i heard it making a hissing sound as if it was try to send pressure to the head when i look at the screen it was blank and i could not turn it off from the front switch so i had to turn off using the main power switch when i turned it on again it boot up fine did a test draw and the black heads fall out so i did a cleaning and as soon as it finish the cleaning it went back to boot mode i test the head and main boards it reads the right ohms but the slider board when tested it gives different readings on the pins so i would like to know if anyone had this problem before and can tell me what parts in would need or do i just replace the slider board thanks any help would be great fully accepted
I suggest that you create a new thread with your particular case in Mimaki. It's hard to manage two separate problem in one thread.

Read the message. I think it's your case. A printer wouldn't boot up as yours.
https://signs101.com/threads/jv33-wont-boot-up-after-head-replacement.118344/#post-1195816

hazartilirot

Read this as well
https://signs101.com/threads/mimaki-jv33-issue-please-help.114786/#post-1169885

There's a JV33 Electrical Troubleshooting
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1264353/Mimaki-Jv33-160.html?page=135

timalh3

i tried all of the testing the other problem here is that the machine gives no errors just goes back to boot when the cleaning is done, i would also like to know where i can get original mimaki parts and if they will be willing to ship it to south america .

hazartilirot

sorry but how do i do that i just came across this post and taught i would get help thanks any way
Open
https://signs101.com/forums/mimaki.208/

Once you're there.... Click on POST NEW THREAD, or just click on the direct URL https://signs101.com/forums/mimaki.208/create-thread

As for your other questions I'm from Ukraine. I know https://www.digiprint-supplies.com/en/contactus
They sell parts in the EU an US.

The other online shop I know in the US is https://www.uscutter.com/

Last edited:

Tipgypsy

Hey Tipgypsy !
The tech who came here did exactly what Netsol said, when he removed the printhead, there was ink pouring from it and he said the printhead couln't be fixed. Later, I unmounted what I could and cleaned a bit more, it's pretty clean now, see photos. The problem is I should have done this immediately after the accident, before the system hault and 187 HDC SLEW RATE errors.

I found another Mimaki tech (third one) and I think I'll get the mainboard back and ask him to check it, still thinking. The dealer who sold the machine is not an option, because I moved and now they're more than 400 miles away. And also I don't trust them, because they charged me the price of 5 hours to prepare my machine to move, that washing procedure... but it was so fast and so simple that I felt stolen. They should have charged me by hours like they do with all clients and not the price of 5 hours for a 1 and half hour service.

Finding a good tech has been a challenge for me. There's just a few options around here and can't trust anymore that Mimaki guy who said my cap didn't need to be replaced after 1 year and half. Also another day he was removing the dampers with the machine powered on (stand by mode) and I was the one who told him it was better idea to unplug it because the machine could try to refresh at any moment.

Then, a second Mimaki tech who came months ago said he wouldn't even touch the dampers because since one magenta line was missing already, removing the damper to check it could break the head internally, which I'd found later to be untrue.

As you can see, I'm really trying to find a good tech, but I always end up here asking you for help, to avoid being scammed. And I thank you all.
I Understand, Which model printer do you have ? Does it use an Epson DX5 printhead ? So Originally you lost two channels on the printhead, but it still worked on the others - then the yellow ink line pulled out - do any of those ribbon cables with the blue strip plug into the printhead ? Are any of the shiny metal contacts missing - Are any of the blue strips missing from the ribbon cables ? Its possible to get the ribbon cables installed backwards .... which will give you a System Halt and all kinds of craziness in most machines . Another thing that will cause it is missing one of the blue strips from either end of a ribbon cable - they won't make contact properly . When you install a ribbon cable part of the connector pulls up to allow it to seat easily then you push it down on both ends to lock it in place . Its also easy to get the cables mixed up and put them in the wrong places .

I wouldn't worry print quality or ink yet just try getting everything back together and get it to boot up without a system halt error . When you get there - you can try to unclog the printhead - need to know which one your machine uses first . If you took pictures of the cables before disassembly you can ref those or you may have to find a tech manual with pics to make sure everythings where it should be. Hope that gives you something to look fore before you order parts .