• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please Help me - trying to get a print head installed tonight JV33

kkamauu

Hey 101 friends, NEED HELP ASAP - Trying to replace print head on JV33 tonight Please...

We have a JV33 and are swapping the print head. We have of course bunch of New Year jobs and our printer is down.

We have the new printhead in place and have used a syringe pump to pull ink to the bottom of the damper.

We then filled the heads with cleaning solution. Then we used the "Fill Ink" selection on the printer.

Yet when we do a test print no ink is coming out.

Please help - if anyone is awake! We are in Hawaii you can call 808-306-0082 if you are able to.

CustomRide

are you getting ink into the syringe? are you hearing air leaking?

Did you make sure the ribbon cable was super clean and the printer was unplugged from the wall during the entire operation?

Keep pulling ink through manually with a syringe...do not apply too much pressure! Its a simple concept just mess with it.....also make sure you have carts with ink in them....I know this sounds stupid but that's usually what it is...something stupid. Good luck im about to sign off for the day.

kkamauu

looks like we may have them all primed properly except the 2nd Magenta. It seems to not prime. There is a leak somewhere on the damper(?).
maybe the seal needs to be replaced?

In the meantime what do i do to keep the head safe? Should i just place it in a nozzle wash and unplug the machine?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yikes - yes keep the head on the cap with solution if you are going to stop working on the problem for more than an hour or two.

JV33 head swap is terribly simple. I replaced ours a week or so ago. Literally printing again in under an hour.

Needs-
New Printhead (preferrably with correct manifold)
Big syringe with a DX4 head style damper
Bottle of cleaning/flush solution

First remove the carriage cover, then both damper retainers. Unclip head cable holders. Pull head temp/memory thingy off the front of the manifold. Remove both head hight adjuster posts. Pull all 8 dampers off the head mainfold and to the left side. Be VERY careful with the dampers - DX5 dampers have VERY sensitive compression valves on the sides - the lightest press on the side of a damper will open it causing ink to flow out fast. Remove both thumbturn head retainers and the plastic washers under them. Pull head plate with the head loose and pull the 2 ribbon cables off the head.

Prep the new head - SLOWLY over about 20 to 30 seconds per channel inject about 20 to 30cc flush into each channel of the new head using the syringe and DX4 style damper on each damper post of the new head manifold. Once done remove the 2 screws attaching the old head to the head plate, cleanup the plate also noting which way the flat spring thing goes on the one side and attach the new head to the plate.

Being VERY careful and mindful of the bottom of the new head attach both ribbon cables to the new head. Clip the new head plate and head into the carriage. Install the thumbturn head retainers - these need to be just right so that when folded down they are snug - one turn too far and they will be super tight - one turn less and they will be loose.

Put all the dampers back on and their 2 retainers. Reinstall height adjuster posts. Resecure head cables, reattach head temp/memory sensor thing to the manifold.

Power up - enter service mode and enter the new head rank (if available and/or valid). Do an ink fill up. Run a Dot Position Correction. Print away!

Optional steps. Might have to re-use your old manifold depending on if your new head came with a solvent manifold. The other thing to be aware of - many non-mimaki head have a solvent manifold that is not 100% compatable. It WILL work but your head temp/memory sensor thing will not attach to the manifold correctly. I simply removed mine from the plastic peice that holds it and stuck it to the new manifold with a small bit of banner tape and it works perfectly fine.

Finally - installing a head the way I described it here - I only did one single ink fill after the install and was getting 100% perfect test draws. If you are still having problems I'd consider replacing the dampers and capping station top. Be aware - on a JV33 - the ink system is CLOSED with valves behind the cartridges. If you use a syringe to draw ink into the dampers or the head from below the capping station without opening the ink valves first you will be creating a tremendous amount of negative pressure in the ink system potentially damaging the dampers.

Anyways - it's really hard to tell what is wrong. I'd start with the dampers and capping top myself though.

artbot

if you are curious if your one magenta has a bad damper set up just cross the magenta dampers and see if it corrects. otherwise you still have some vapor lock inside that channel.

phototec

Yikes - yes keep the head on the cap with solution if you are going to stop working on the problem for more than an hour or two.

JV33 head swap is terribly simple. I replaced ours a week or so ago. Literally printing again in under an hour.

Needs-
New Printhead (preferrably with correct manifold)
Big syringe with a DX4 head style damper
Bottle of cleaning/flush solution

First remove the carriage cover, then both damper retainers. Unclip head cable holders. Pull head temp/memory thingy off the front of the manifold. Remove both head hight adjuster posts. Pull all 8 dampers off the head mainfold and to the left side. Be VERY careful with the dampers - DX5 dampers have VERY sensitive compression valves on the sides - the lightest press on the side of a damper will open it causing ink to flow out fast. Remove both thumbturn head retainers and the plastic washers under them. Pull head plate with the head loose and pull the 2 ribbon cables off the head.

Prep the new head - SLOWLY over about 20 to 30 seconds per channel inject about 20 to 30cc flush into each channel of the new head using the syringe and DX4 style damper on each damper post of the new head manifold. Once done remove the 2 screws attaching the old head to the head plate, cleanup the plate also noting which way the flat spring thing goes on the one side and attach the new head to the plate.

Being VERY careful and mindful of the bottom of the new head attach both ribbon cables to the new head. Clip the new head plate and head into the carriage. Install the thumbturn head retainers - these need to be just right so that when folded down they are snug - one turn too far and they will be super tight - one turn less and they will be loose.

Put all the dampers back on and their 2 retainers. Reinstall height adjuster posts. Resecure head cables, reattach head temp/memory sensor thing to the manifold.

Power up - enter service mode and enter the new head rank (if available and/or valid). Do an ink fill up. Run a Dot Position Correction. Print away!

Optional steps. Might have to re-use your old manifold depending on if your new head came with a solvent manifold. The other thing to be aware of - many non-mimaki head have a solvent manifold that is not 100% compatable. It WILL work but your head temp/memory sensor thing will not attach to the manifold correctly. I simply removed mine from the plastic peice that holds it and stuck it to the new manifold with a small bit of banner tape and it works perfectly fine.

Finally - installing a head the way I described it here - I only did one single ink fill after the install and was getting 100% perfect test draws. If you are still having problems I'd consider replacing the dampers and capping station top. Be aware - on a JV33 - the ink system is CLOSED with valves behind the cartridges. If you use a syringe to draw ink into the dampers or the head from below the capping station without opening the ink valves first you will be creating a tremendous amount of negative pressure in the ink system potentially damaging the dampers.

Anyways - it's really hard to tell what is wrong. I'd start with the dampers and capping top myself though.

Wow, I don't have a JV33 but wanted to give a shout out to SightLine for giving someone help in such a detailed step-by-step manner!

Many times folks on here try and help, but are very vague with their instructions, because in their mind they know all the intermediate steps, and just gloss over the whole procedure.

In this case, I think SightLine was very meticulous and for someone (like me) who has never changed out a print-head, that step-by-step guide was great.

Well done!

:thankyou:

Attachments

• Signs101 Shoout Out Award 12-30-11 copy.jpg
    Signs101 Shoout Out Award 12-30-11 copy.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 82
Yeah SightLine you're the best. Opened the lines from behind the cartridges and was able to fill the dampers up, did an ink fill and we were back in business printing all of the inks. Calibrated and we were off and running. If you ever find yourself in Hawaii let us know, we owe you one.

Thank you CustomRide and Artbot for your help also.

Mahalo

Last edited: