• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Please help the newbie!!!!

knifemaker3

Ok,

I've got the cutter JSI-P-24. Now I need the materials. I do have a squegee, plan on getting a gold 3m and a felt.

I plan on getting some r-tape conform series or Endura mask from signwarehouse.

I'm going to build a tape dispenser instead of buying one for 50-100 bucks.

Now for the big question.... vinyl.

Does LG Hi-Cal 6000 make a good choice for banners, outdoor signs, etc.? How about it's use for vehicle graphics and atv graphics?

I also plan on either oracal 851 or 3m High performance cast vinyl for vehicle graphics but was wondering if the hi-cal 6000 would also be a good choice?

Any other suggestions on what I need would be greatly appreciated. I understand the basics but have yet to apply and vinyl for signage or vehicles.

HELP PLEASE!!!! :tongue:

Thanks!

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum ...since new to vinyl here can only say oracal and 3M are both great brands, the gold squeege gets great reviews also, and was gonna ask same after checking archives on other needs n tips if needed lol anyway good luck
freedom is not free

slappy

first save these round things that come in some of the vinyl rolls, they fit in the transfer tape rolls.
2nd. find a pole that fits in the round thing that has handles and cut to size... i have the handle on one end so it stays put and i can fit a 24" roll and 6" roll of t-tape which has been very useful sizewise
3rd. find a l-shaped bracket thing like what i got and drill that into the table and voyla (spelt wrong probably)... homemade transfer tape applicator

Last edited:

Sign_Boy

Tape dispenser

I just took 3 quick grip clamps and clamped them on upside down.
Put a wood pole across them and it holds my tape just fine.

The bonus is it's easy to remove and you can use the quick grips.

Ken

HI. Welcome.
A felt-tipped squeegee is good to have. I also have the little felt squeegee from Signs by Dale. That is a very good tool.
For weeding vinyl I like to use a stitch-ripper that you will find in a sewing store. It can pick AND cut vinyl.
You should have assorted sizes of transfer tape from 1 inch to 18 inch. It is better to not overlap t tape to cover a graphic. Do it with one pass.
Try to find a supplier that will sell vinyl by the yard as opposed to whole rolls. This stuff has a shelf life. You could be comfortable buying whole rolls of the basic colors, but when it comes to purple, lime green etc, better off buying by the yard.
Try to arrange your purchases of materials so they are all shipped at the same time to save on shipping costs.
It's hard to resist selling your work for cheap at first.."to get your foot in the door"...and equally hard to determine what you should be charging for your work. Try to think "Win-Win"..both sides do well. It's the best way to do business.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Ken

creative

oracal 651 for EVERYTHING! we even go over rivets with it no problem.

is only a few dollars more then the LG, the LG will crack in about a year, at least here in Phoenix, O-651, haven't seen one cracked in th past 7 years, yes in Phoenix HOT hot HOTTTTT

StitchWerks

I have bought a couple of dispensers and I can tell you from experience that nothing works as well as the BIG SQUEEGE. I still use my Weber once in awhile but for 99% it is the Big Squeege. At 1/4 of the price of a Weber it is the best purchase to make.

Also Stahls has a weeding tool that is awesome. It is the size of a dental pic with a curved tip that makes weeding so much easier.

Good Luck

ChiknNutz

oracal 651 for EVERYTHING! we even go over rivets with it no problem.

is only a few dollars more then the LG, the LG will crack in about a year, at least here in Phoenix, O-651, haven't seen one cracked in th past 7 years, yes in Phoenix HOT hot HOTTTTT

If you want to choose ONE line of vinyl, I'd highly suggest 751C and NOT 651 for everything. 651 is good stuff, but it simply is not as good as 751C or 851. It is a calendered vinyl and WILL shrink some, unlike a good cast vinyl that shrinks almost imperceptably. I wouldn't risk my reputation over a few bucks saved on a roll of vinyl used for the wrong application.

wingman

I have bought a couple of dispensers and I can tell you from experience that nothing works as well as the BIG SQUEEGE.

Ditto on this. I bought a tape dispenser before I bought a Big Squegee. Now the dispenser is just a cradle for my tape rolls.:Canada 2:

Flame

651 buddy.

751 is higher quality, but there are no doubts in my mind that 651 applies easier (stiffer). For tough jobs with lots of curves, 751 shines way above 651. But for an all around vinyl, it's hard to beat.

ORACAL 651