• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Plotter problems, suggestions needed.

Ranel

Hey guys.

So we have a Summa S2T160 plotter with OPOS (not cam) and we also have multiple problems. I pretty sure that here's lot of guys who can' help me out and give some tips on these.

The first problem is that the OPOS cannot detect the cutmarks on reflective media like Avery 2500/6500/7500. I have tried scotts tape trick but it only works rarely and its not a solution for bigger jobs. I have tried cutting squares out on vinyl which have small regmark cutouts and taped them over regmarks - it works but its not a solution for bigger jobs.

The second problem is that with heavier and thicker media that has that honeycomb pattern the cutter just can't cut consistantly - it starts fine but tends to wander off gradually the more it cuts. It helps if I use low pressure and low speed and cut multiple times but thats not a solution with bigger jobs. So is the whole thing too weak for thatkinda media and job? I'm not trying to cut through but kiss cut.

Third problem - the 4 pinch rollers we have can't keep the thicker and heavier media stable when measuring and moving the media during cutting. Also the first and last rollers tend to mess up the laminate.

So the big question is - it that cutter even suitable for thatkind of job or am I doing something wrong?

Should we get another cutter - if yes then please give me a suggestions what manufacturers what model would be best suited for cutting reflective traffic sign media? The ideal option would be the ability to cut through. Do we need a flatbed for that (which is superexpensive) or can some pinch roller versions also do the job reliably?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We just upgraded from one of these to a new Graphtex FC9000 and it is night and day difference on cutting and accuracy. The summa always seemed to struggle pulling materials. On our older Mimaki plotters we put a thin piece of tape around (and slightly down) around the sensor head to block out light for reflective materials, might work for you.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Ranel,

Have you tried using the yellow OPOS filters to see if you can get better mark recognition on the reflective materials? I have attached a document with more info on that process in case you wanted to give that a try. Also, cutting prismatic or diamond grade reflective is not a recommended application for a roll-fed plotter like the S2 T Series. The material is just too thick and rigid and the pinch rollers aren't able to get a good enough grip on the material to track properly. Even if you get it to track properly it is challenging to cut because most of those prismatic films require so much force and blade depth to cut through but also have very thin liners so it's tricky to get just the right depth and pressure setting to get a clean cut without cutting into that thin liner.

If your primary focus is going to be cutting prismatic reflective materials and you'll need to cut a decent volume of that type of work then I would definitely suggest looking into one of the Summa flatbeds like the F1612. We(Airmark) have a deal on the F1612's right now and you could get one with all the tools you would need to cut the materials you mentioned for about 50k. Let me know if you might be interested in seeing some pricing.

Either way, I think trying to get the roll-fed machine to cut the prismatic reflective consistently, even with the yellow filters, is going to be a pretty frustrating process.

Feel free to contact me if you want to pick my brain on this or if I can answer any other questions that you might have.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112(office)
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

Attachments

• OPOS Filter for Reflective.pdf
    794.1 KB · Views: 204