• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter stops in middle of cut and beeps!

GoodPeopleFlags

I posted on another thread (titled HS-750) that I was having the same problem but I just realized that mine isn't the HS-750. My problem is on the HS-15 Plus. It starts to cut but then it stops and starts beeping like crazy. Today I'm just trying to cut 12, 3.5" x 22.5" rectangles around phone numbers that were printed on the Edge. Sometimes it will stop immediately or it may actually cut the first rectangle.

I googled the problem and found something that said to change a setting in the FIFO buffer, which I did, but still have the problem. It then said to "turn off the spooler" and try again but I can find where to do that, even though it says it's in "Cut >> Plotter Setup". I can't find that. I'm using Omega 2.61.

Like I said in the other thread, I had this problem for about a day or 2 about 3 - 4 months ago and it seemed to "fix itself"... until today. It's been working fine and nothing has been moved or changed. Any suggestions?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Most alarm beeps are caused by tripping a limit sensor. Most sensors are set off by small binds in movement tripping it. The solution, 99% of the time is to remove the covers, blow out all dust, wipe down all shafts with alcohol followed by a wipe with sewing machine oil and, finally, lubrication of the various bronze oilite bearings with sewing machine oil.

GoodPeopleFlags

Fred, I'm probably wrong but I don't think this thing has any limit sensors. I'll clean out the dust and lube it but if anyone has a "Plan B", I'd love to hear it. Thanks!!!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, I'm probably wrong but I don't think this thing has any limit sensors. I'll clean out the dust and lube it but if anyone has a "Plan B", I'd love to hear it. Thanks!!!

Of course it has limit sensors. There is one for Y axis movement if you go too high up on the material. There is one for X axis freedom of movement that will trip if the drum binds or the vinyl is too heavy to pull. There is a sensor for theta rotation to insure that the blade is correctly rotated to its home position. And, I'm not sure but, there may also be a Z axis sensor to protect the plotter from anything inhibiting the lifting of the toolhead.

There is a bronze oilite throwout bearing in the toolhead which has a lubrication hole in it (facing down) that Gerber recommends one drop of oil every six months.

GoodPeopleFlags

Follow Up:

Well, it starting working just fine later in the day without doing anything to it. Today it did it again! BUT.... I think I might have the beginnings of an answer. I noticed that when it happened, I was also cutting on my 48" Graphtec plotter. After that job was done, I tried cutting on the Gerber again and no problem. I can't remember if I was cutting on the Graphtec at the same time it happened before, but probably. I don't cut on both simultaneously very often. Anyway, just thought I would post this for anyone having the same problem in the future.

Maritimer

I also have the HS-750 and it's stopping in the middle of a job. I blew off all the dust, and wiped it all down but that didn't do anything. Gerber will only support the HS-750 plus and there's no technicians in our area (Eastern Canada) that work on this machine.

Machine is 15 + yrs old & may of had it's day.