• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Polycarbonate "yellowing"

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Besides fully covering a polycarbonate sign face with a vinyl graphic, is there a way to combat the yellowing of the face from the sun? Not sure if there are laminates (liquid or non) or any other methods that can be used. Thanks

rydods

There should be a "this side out" warning on the masking, that side has some UV properties and will take longer to yellow.

I've been using impact modified acrylic on jobs that are not full coverage and it has worked well.
I'll check this out. Thanks!

2B

We try to only use modified acrylic for this reason

Poly substrate will yellow more rapidly

rydods

We try to only use modified acrylic for this reason

Poly substrate will yellow more rapidly
Is it as strong/flexible as polycarbonate? I thought acrylic is prone to cracking and breaking easier.

CanuckSigns

Is it as strong/flexible as polycarbonate? I thought acrylic is prone to cracking and breaking easier.
This is true of regular acrylic, but impact modified acrylic is different, it doesn't shatter or Crack, it's basically magic.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

CanuckSigns

I call bs. We have to use it for lowes faces, and typically we have 1 break every time. Part of the problem is the 8'x8' W , but I'll say the unbreakable-ness of poly far exceeds the impact modified acrylic.

As far as I know, if no sticker is present to indicate face side, all manufacturers I've come across roll the face side out (uv protected side), so if you stand a sheet on edge, and it bows one way, that ought to be the face side.
Well I've never has issues with it. 8x8 should really be done as a flex face anyway.

rydods

So to avoid yellowing and to have the best quality and durability which would you recommend for replacement faces, Modified acrylic or clear painted polycarbonate? Cost is not an issue in this case.

2B

So to avoid yellowing and to have the best quality and durability which would you recommend for replacement faces, Modified acrylic or clear painted polycarbonate? Cost is not an issue in this case.

* How big is the face?
* is it backlit?
** how are you going to paint so there are no hot / dark spots?

Scotchbrite

No comment
Usually if you are painting a clear face, it's back-sprayed second surface. So you'd still get the yellowing on the surface of the clear polycarb.

There are different levels of impact modifier available.

Around here we get lots of strong wind and hail, so I almost always use polycarbonate. If the customer specifically mentions the yellowing being a concern, we'll switch to acrylic and warn them of the risk.

rydods

* How big is the face?
* is it backlit?
** how are you going to paint so there are no hot / dark spots?
Largest and most of the faces are 84" x 84", they are backlit, I will not be painting them they will be provided by a professional manufacturer who specializes in these faces. I've asked their opinion as well but wanted to get all of your opinions as well. This customer does a lot of business with us and we're looking at potentially providing faces for over 100 of their business locations. They may be picky about the yellow faces it's a logical question I guess for that many faces.

rydods

Usually if you are painting a clear face, it's back-sprayed second surface. So you'd still get the yellowing on the surface of the clear polycarb.

There are different levels of impact modifier available.

Around here we get lots of strong wind and hail, so I almost always use polycarbonate. If the customer specifically mentions the yellowing being a concern, we'll switch to acrylic and warn them of the risk.
This is good to know and I'll mention the risk. Thanks