• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Possible Failed Matte Vinyl or Can it be Cleaned????

amylynncomitz

Smart Designs
My neighbor got a BRAND new vehicle about 2 years ago and the wrap portion of the car which is a matte black seems to be failing. I am not sure if this can be cleaned with anything. It looks modeled or molded. Any ideas would be great before we re-wrap the hood and back panel.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpg
    IMG_1971.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 210

amylynncomitz

Smart Designs
Exactly what I said and couldn't agree more!! But they just moved here from another state. It almost looks like it could be cleaned. Thanks for your suggestion!!

unclebun

Warranty is nationwide, makes no difference. Doesn't have to go back to selling dealer.

If it's dirt, clean it. Try vinegar water if you think it's hard water staining.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Had this happen a few years ago with an Oracal Carbon Fiber Wrap vinyl. Did an EGA on a client's hood and he brought it back less than six months later. We stripped and redid it with a printed Carbon Fiber look and he loved it. It's been on the vehicle for a few years now with no issues.

So I'd say it could be the brand of vinyl that was used and not so much the installation of the graphics. Some just work better in these full sun areas.

amylynncomitz

Smart Designs
Was the vehicle two toned from the dealer or installed somewhere else? I'd advise this is a failure of either a wrap shop or painter.
Did you wrap it, or are you trying to help? If you did it, what vinyl did you use?
I am just trying to help and is a 2 tone car (red with matte black). I didn't wrap it, they seen me working on another vehicle and asked.
I have never seen anything like it and don't want to jump right into a problem. I think they need a good "wrap cleaner" before doing anything else.

amylynncomitz

Smart Designs
Had this happen a few years ago with an Oracal Carbon Fiber Wrap vinyl. Did an EGA on a client's hood and he brought it back less than six months later. We stripped and redid it with a printed Carbon Fiber look and he loved it. It's been on the vehicle for a few years now with no issues.

So I'd say it could be the brand of vinyl that was used and not so much the installation of the graphics. Some just work better in these full sun areas.
Thanks for the advice!! I just wish he knew what vinyl was used.

De.signs Nanaimo

I think that may be from a tree. I had issues with a tree in front of my house, I would park the car near, but not under, a deciduous tree for a day or two. It was sunny weather with no rain or clouds at all, and I would have a slightly sticky film in a droplet pattern on the tree only side of the car much like in your photo. I got to it right away with rapid remove and it all came off, but soap would not work. This was all from my tree weeping from the leaves as a thin sappy like stuff, my driver side window squeaked for the next few years whenever you rolled it up!

Now it also looks like heat from the engine may have baked it right into the matte finish, so it may never some off if I am correct in my theory.

amylynncomitz

Smart Designs
I think that may be from a tree. I had issues with a tree in front of my house, I would park the car near, but not under, a deciduous tree for a day or two. It was sunny weather with no rain or clouds at all, and I would have a slightly sticky film in a droplet pattern on the tree only side of the car much like in your photo. I got to it right away with rapid remove and it all came off, but soap would not work. This was all from my tree weeping from the leaves as a thin sappy like stuff, my driver side window squeaked for the next few years whenever you rolled it up!

Now it also looks like heat from the engine may have baked it right into the matte finish, so it may never some off if I am correct in my theory.
I will definitely suggest a cleaner first before removing and re-wrapping. Seems like the matte black is a very hard wrap to maintain!!!! Thank you so much!!!

amylynncomitz

Smart Designs
Warranty is nationwide, makes no difference. Doesn't have to go back to selling dealer.

If it's dirt, clean it. Try vinegar water if you think it's hard water staining.
The car was purchased from a car dealer with this wrap on it. The hood is factory matte black and the roof and back are in a vinyl wrap. Wherever that vinyl was installed is where you see that modeling effect. Very strange!

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
About 12 years ago, had a local dealer bring in a car to have us put a new decal on it after the owner had body work done, with that matte black on the hood being what was replaced. I don't recall the specifics of the branding on the liner, but I could tell from the feel it was cheap vinyl- and it came from the car manufacturer. Maybe six months later, the dealer called us raising hell because the vinyl was shrinking.