• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Premask Application Tape Technique?

bkyi44

Hellow everyone~:signs101:
Is there a good technique to apply the premask application tape without getting any wrinkles? 12" is ok for me but 18" or 24" - lots of wrinkles. I use freehand & squeegee to apply application tape. I didn't invest my $$$ on one of those premask applicator machine. (quite expensive)

Any suggestions? I thank you in advance ~!!! :notworthy:

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• Masking.jpg
    Masking.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 319
One other thing I forgot to mention...sometimes I find it easier to cut a piece of application tape lay it sticky side up on my table. Basically applying the graphic to the application tape. I don't know why it's easier but it works for me.

CentralSigns

Build a rack. All ya need is a pole for the premask to hang on on the end of your table. Then pull your premask out over your graphic and stick it to the table. Then slowly float your hands applying gentle even pressure as you work towards your premask roll. With some practice your work will be wrinkle free. One at the end you can cut off the mask from the roll and squeege the premask to the vinyl. With a little pressure the final product should be bubble free, so I find a small squeege is better for applying more pressure. Save ya $3k for a laminater.

Mosh

We use the "one man hobo taping machine" exclusivly avaiable from the Mosh!

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:

R08

Hey as long as it works. I actually built one like it but it's a double decker and is 4' wide. Holds many sizes at once.

Last edited by a moderator:

bkyi44

[
Picture1.jpg

Thank you Mosh~ It looks very sturdy~ Nicely done~ I'll take form follows function anyday~ I should build one of these with 2x4. Maybe I should incorporate Jester1167's design.:thumb:

Mosh

I have one on the other end that has a 30" and an 18" side by side. $29.95 plus shipping.:)
The key is the straps holding it to the end of the table if you make one. That way you can move it quikly without un-doing screws or clamps.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Build a rack. All ya need is a pole for the premask to hang on on the end of your table. Then pull your premask out over your graphic and stick it to the table. Then slowly float your hands applying gentle even pressure as you work towards your premask roll...

You were fine up until the hands part.

Do not, never, as in ever, use your hands to put mask down on vinyl. There's no surer way to leave catastrophic bubbles and the subsequent wrinkles than trying to smooth down mask with your hands.

As noted above pull the mask over the vinyl and stick it to the table. Then put the mask onto the vinyl just like you put the vinyl onto a substrate. With a squeegee. Preferably a 12" wallpaper trowel. You use the squeegee to put the mask onto the vinyl just like you use a squeegee to put the vinyl on substrate using an angled up/down action starting the squeegee such that each stroke starts completely on the previously stroke and ends straddling the previous stroke.

The Big Squeegee will work but I can apply mask with a table mounted axle, I have a Weber but any sort will do, faster than I can set up the roll of mask for the Big Squeegee. The Big Squeegee is a good tool but there are far better ways of putting down mask. The only time I'd use the big squeegee for mask is if and when I have a roll of mask that, for whatever reason, wants to start to tear from the edges as it's pulled off the roll. The BS doesn't always cure this but it's far better than without it in this one special case.

gabagoo

Thank you Mosh~ It looks very sturdy~ Nicely done~ I'll take form follows function anyday~ I should build one of these with 2x4. Maybe I should incorporate Jester1167's design.:thumb:

I have one of these too!! fast and easy. I use the BS for larger or smaller sized pre mask when I need to

gabagoo

You were fine up until the hands part.

Do not, never, as in ever, use your hands to put mask down on vinyl. There's no surer way to leave catastrophic bubbles and the subsequent wrinkles than trying to smooth down mask with your hands.

As noted above pull the mask over the vinyl and stick it to the table. Then put the mask onto the vinyl just like you put the vinyl onto a substrate. With a squeegee. Preferably a 12" wallpaper trowel. You use the squeegee to put the mask onto the vinyl just like you use a squeegee to put the vinyl on substrate using an angled up/down action starting the squeegee such that each stroke starts completely on the previously stroke and ends straddling the previous stroke.

The Big Squeegee will work but I can apply mask with a table mounted axle, I have a Weber but any sort will do, faster than I can set up the roll of mask for the Big Squeegee. The Big Squeegee is a good tool but there are far better ways of putting down mask. The only time I'd use the big squeegee for mask is if and when I have a roll of mask that, for whatever reason, wants to start to tear from the edges as it's pulled off the roll. The BS doesn't always cure this but it's far better than without it in this one special case.

Bob, I think the bubbles will occur if you try using your hands after the premask is cut off the main roll. When I use my hands there is a little tension which allows the mask to hover over the graphics until I gently rub them down. I then go over with a squeegee and we get abspoulutely no bubbles.

CentralSigns

Hey Bob, I think gabagoo explained the squeege a little better than me. You are only hovering over the mask with fingers. As long as the roll is attached the tension holds it. Its almost like when you use aplication fluids, the premask being the vinyl, and thevinly being the surface its applied to. The premask floats over the vinyl in the same sort of way, once touched up with sqeege it's stuck. Sorry for the poor wording earlier.

Someone just starting with this method is likely to get a few bubbles till they get it right. These can be poped in the mask with little ill affect to the end resulting vinyl install.

Mosh

I have seen the weeder, if everything is cut perfectly it looks great. I know in our shop we use so many different materials so sometimes cutting weight is not perfect. I would be scared to use it. The SHEETER looks good. I hate the name, reminds me of what we call our outhouse.

Malkin

Bob, I think the bubbles will occur if you try using your hands after the premask is cut off the main roll. When I use my hands there is a little tension which allows the mask to hover over the graphics until I gently rub them down. I then go over with a squeegee and we get abspoulutely no bubbles.

+1

This is how I do it, hardly ever get a bubble. I can appreciate that everyone has a different method that is the most comfortable though.