• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Preparing MDO for Vinyl....

onlyjames

The World Is Never Enough
Hi all,

I typically buy RTG MDO, but have a job now which will require me to prep the MDO myself. Here are the details.....

One side of my MDO is all ready, primed and painted white. The other side is raw (un primed/painted) and I will need to paint it white. This sign is an exterior sign, and will have black vinyl applied to both sides.

Which products do you all use to prep/paint MDO, and what is your process?

Thanks in advance :thankyou:

sinetist

I fill any voids in the edges with exterior spackle - sand edges a little round - prime with exterior latex primer, the edges twice - paint with marine enamel. Never had one fail - some I've done are still looking, and holding up fine, after a dozen or more years

OldPaint

fill voids, sand lightly prime with KILZ or ZINZER oil based primer. let dry, now I USE AUTOMOTIVE ACRYLIC ENAMEL to color coat it. 3 coats and it will last as long as it does on your vehicle. then when dry you can vinyl.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Like said before, fill the voids with a filler (I use a good quality body filler) but I run a hand held router with a 1/8" roundover bit around the edges, then prime with kilz, and paint with a couple of coats of one shot.

PatWhatley

That doesn't make any sense. Why would anybody even sell you MDO that's ready to go one side and completely raw on the other? No matter how you're using it you'd still have to prep and paint the back.

Are you sure you're not using MDO that's ready to go on one side and has the OPP backer on the other? I ask because that's what I get from all four of my suppliers. Don't even bother trying to paint the OPP backer, it won't stick.

Just asking, you know more about what you've actually got than I do...just ready to go/raw MDO makes no sense at all.

onlyjames

That doesn't make any sense. Why would anybody even sell you MDO that's ready to go one side and completely raw on the other? No matter how you're using it you'd still have to prep and paint the back.

Are you sure you're not using MDO that's ready to go on one side and has the OPP backer on the other? I ask because that's what I get from all four of my suppliers. Don't even bother trying to paint the OPP backer, it won't stick.

Just asking, you know more about what you've actually got than I do...just ready to go/raw MDO makes no sense at all.

Hey Pat...it is the OPP backer....paint will not stick?

speedmedia

Is it a temporary sign or long term? We never go through that much trouble with mdo. Either get double sided primed or use alumalite or something along those lines if it is long term.

Thanks,
Kurt

onlyjames

Im about to order double sided, this sign needs to last a while (hanging sign in and "old town" area).

My main purpose of this thread was to learn how others are painting and prepping MDO.

Thanks to those who gave helpful replies

Gino

Premium Subscriber
OP's method is great.

If you don't have access to a sprayer and a booth, then just fill the voids as mentioned, sand them back and apply a prime [latex or oil... your choice] and top coat with 1-Shot or some other top grade bulletin paint with two or three top coats with a 220 sanding and tacking in between each coat. Be sure you roll the coat on as thin as you can to prevent orange peel or other paint problems. After it dries for a day or two.... apply your vinyl.

PatWhatley

Somebody may chime in with a way to get it to stick but we haven't found anything. We've tried epoxy enamel, KILZ, Binzer, and two different automotive primers and nothing would stick.

Get the double sided MDO, just make sure you reseal your edges. They don't fill/seal them very well.

onlyjames

Somebody may chime in with a way to get it to stick but we haven't found anything. We've tried epoxy enamel, KILZ, Binzer, and two different automotive primers and nothing would stick.

Get the double sided MDO, just make sure you reseal your edges. They don't fill/seal them very well.

Thanks Pat, that info most likely just saved my ass....I was fixing to paint the back today....thanks :thumb:li

Deaton Design

On sealing the edges, Ive always had good luck with exterior wood filler, and titebond glue.
Ive used the wood filler since I started doing signs many years ago, and always had good success with it. The titebond works well too, if you apply two or three coats. Some people also mix up expoxy and seal the edges. Any of these will work well, and make the mdo last for years.

kalvix

why don't you just go buy the Omega Signboard which has the core of wood and a vinyl surface on both sides? then just apply the a full vinyl graphic to the specific color you need. add the edge caps and you are done. 20 minutes?

onlyjames

I actually ended using double sided MDO....which was SCRATCHED....so I covered both faces with white vinyl, sealed the edges, and covered the edges with vinyl. The product looks great, and im sure the customer will be happy. It was a little more work than I would have liked....but it turned out great

G-Artist

In keeping with kalvix's post, I wouldn't waste time on the edges if the sign is going to be square or rectangular. Use edge cap material. It also adds a bit of 'professionalism' to the sign as well.

onlyjames

Yeah, I was going to, but this is a routed sign, and the bottom is a half circle...so the edge cap wasnt a good option, and I didnt want to have only 3 sides with edge caps.

This sign will be about 10 feet in the air....and the edges and boarders are all black vinyl....I think it will look great