• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Preventing Ghosting for leased vehicles

joelswork

Hey guys, I have a pretty high end leased vehicle I’m working on for just some cut graphics or possible partial wrap. The concern is ghosting when the graphics are removed at lease end. Will ceramic coating help keep the oven from fading the exposed paint so it won’t be as bad?

In my opinion its just a part of doing business. Years ago when we painted everything they had to deal with removing paint. I would think a little ghosting is just something they'll have to deal with when the time comes. It's not a perfect solution.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I'm going to reckon the ceramic coating will only compound the trouble of getting the vinyl to stay well adhered, more than it will help keep the exposed paint from failing. How about printing a larger panel so at least your ghosting will be uniform throughout a door or fender?
Even printed panels can ghost the image. He's better off telling the customer its a crap shoot rather than potentially turning their problem into his

Notarealsignguy

This is an older crane but it shows that there isn't much of anything you can do to eliminate the risk. This is down in the steel itself through paint and primer
PXL_20211121_234035731.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That looks like a clear cut case of ink outgassing migration which could not escape through the laminate, so it went out through the glue side and embedded itself into the steel. I'll bet ya they didn't allow the outgassing for 48 hours and forced it to react in this manner.

• Agree
Reactions: mim

Notarealsignguy

That looks like a clear cut case of ink outgassing migration which could not escape through the laminate, so it went out through the glue side and embedded itself into the steel. I'll bet ya they didn't allow the outgassing for 48 hours and forced it to react in this manner.
And put it over paint that had not sat and cured for 3 months?

truckgraphics

I would say to tell the customer of the possibility of ghosting in writing.

We once had a customer sue us for the cost of a paint job when we sold her magnets that trapped water in her clear coat. creating a cloudy appearance. Don't know if it was our fault for not telling her how to care for the magnets in writing (sure we told her verbally), but fortunately we didn't have to find out. A few days in the sun cleared up the cloudiness and she dropped the lawsuit.

Do we give a written warning for white work trucks? No. But we're extra careful when someone brings us a passenger vehicle or something with a special paint job. It shouldn't be our fault as the customer is using the vehicle for business and should accept the added depreciation and wear and tear. But I'm not a lawyer and would just as soon not leave it up for a judge to decide who is at fault.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would say to tell the customer of the possibility of ghosting in writing.

We once
had a customer sue us for the cost of a paint job when we sold her magnets that trapped water in her clear coat. creating a cloudy appearance. Don't know if it was our fault for not telling her how to care for the magnets in writing (sure we told her verbally), but fortunately we didn't have to find out. A few days in the sun cleared up the cloudiness and she dropped the lawsuit.

Do we give a written warning for white work trucks? No. But we're extra careful when someone brings us a passenger vehicle or something with a special paint job. It shouldn't be our fault as the customer is using the vehicle for business and should accept the added depreciation and wear and tear. But I'm not a lawyer and would just as soon not leave it up for a judge to decide who is at fault.

How in the world or who in the world dreamed that one up ?? How would a magnet suddenly find holes in her clearcoat to do anything remotely related to what you said ?? In that assumption, they are already admitting the clearcoat is faulty by allowing whatever to get through. That is one of the dumbest ones I've heard of in a while. Thanks for the laugh.

Notarealsignguy

That's not ghosting. I think ghosting stops at the point at which you can feel it, but that's arguing semantics. Is that an area frequently spilled upon, where the lettered paint absorbed/retained more caustic chemicals than the base paint?
Mr Burton, lets try to stay on topic here, this is clearly ghosting. I thought someone might have wet applied it and got their ratio of soap off balance. Like 5 drops instead of 2? Or used palmolive instead of dawn?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't look like a misused soap alteration, but more like....... The Devil Did IT.

The-Exorcist_HELP-ME.jpg

Notarealsignguy

So you're saying that you used the correct soap and water ratio? Maybe it should be distilled water? Some of the tap water down here is pretty bad

Notarealsignguy

Now I'm not going to say you're out right wrong, ghosting to me is a finish problem, once it's gotten beyond paint, it becomes a whole new issue. Like to me, ghosting implies a simple solution (which we know the only real solution is to install inverted graphics and wait XX years for the sun to bake the rest of the paint to the same finished product), where as that particular situation is going to require fillers and build up to get it back to halfway smooth.
Well then Mr Burton, wouldn't you agree that this started as a finish problem? Maybe like ghosting? So is ghosting the virus that causes the un-named disease that has happened here?
We didn't put any filler in it either, just shot right over it. Figured we'd save them the 5 bucks that a new decal would cost, that's how we keep them coming back.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know steel could catch a cold ?? Wha-da-fug forum am I in ?? Is this the disease and medical journals for imported steel products ?? Is this recycled steel ?? Those chinese..... they're messing everything up. First the bat soup, now the faulty steel. What's next ?? Watching movies at the bus stop ??

Notarealsignguy

I didn't know steel could catch a cold ?? Wha-da-fug forum am I in ?? Is this the disease and medical journals for imported steel products ?? Is this recycled steel ?? Those chinese..... they're messing everything up. First the bat soup, now the faulty steel. What's next ?? Watching movies at the bus stop ??
Maybe this is where covid was hiding and escaped? Those sneaky chinese!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I believe we're writing a script for a futuristic movie where the androids take over and get sick when they come in contact with the air. Yeah, that's the ticket.