• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price check

TimToad

May i ask how...? Maybe materials are dirt cheap in US, but in raw materials i have to spend over 1k

Our local supplier sells us 4'x8' 6mm Black Alupanel sheets for $135.00 each. That's $405.00

For the frame work tubing, we might have another $200.00

There might be $100-150 in vinyl there.

The real cost is in all the labor.

reQ

Our local supplier sells us 4'x8' 6mm Black Alupanel sheets for $135.00 each. That's $405.00

For the frame work tubing, we might have another $200.00

There might be $100-150 in vinyl there.

The real cost is in all the labor.

even if there is 700-800 USD in materials - who would go and do everything for 800 dollars to get total of 1500 on the invoice.

P.S. Layout is approved and not subjected to any changes. They got exactly what they asked me to create. I am happy i at least talked them out using bright yellow background and kelly green letters...

reQ

This isn't changing your design but the wording needs Kerning as suggested earlier.

attachment.php

Attachments

• kern2.jpg
    kern2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 175

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Smaller letters with serifs and fine strokes always fight with my eyes on a dark background...

We do a lot of engraving on jet black granite, and serifs and fine strokes always seem to get lost and don't add a bit of appeal.

Take another look and see if you arrive at the same conclusion.

JB

reQ

Smaller letters with serifs and fine strokes always fight with my eyes on a dark background...

We do a lot of engraving on jet black granite, and serifs and fine strokes always seem to get lost and don't add a bit of appeal.

Take another look and see if you arrive at the same conclusion.

JB

"small letters are 7" high, so they will look just fine i'm pretty sure.

P.S. Guys, this topic was created strictly to navigate me to the right price point for this job, not to change/add design etc. It was done up using customer's specs & they want the sign the way it looks. If they are happy - i am happy too.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

Rather dubious typography. By my count you've violated the type body eight times in 'FAIRVIEW FAIRWAYS'.

Unless your making some sort of artistic statement, typically done with initials, rarely with actual text, usually in a logo or similar design, you do not violate a character's type body [that would be the minimum rectangle that contains the character] without one hell of a good reason. Even at that you certainly don't do it eight times in two words.

Ghastly and amateurish. Something one might see in a high school newspaper or a PTA bulletin.

reQ

Rather dubious typography. By my count you've violated the type body eight times in 'FAIRVIEW FAIRWAYS'.

Unless your making some sort of artistic statement, typically done with initials, rarely with actual text, usually in a logo or similar design, you do not violate a character's type body [that would be the minimum rectangle that contains the character] without one hell of a good reason. Even at that you certainly don't do it eight times in two words.

Ghastly and amateurish. Something one might see in a high school newspaper or a PTA bulletin.

Okay, in your opinion, this looks better?

attachment.php

Attachments

• kern4.jpg
    kern4.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 179

reQ

Anyways, in my opinion, adjusting kerning with this font makes it look awkward. If it would be simple block font - different story.

reQ

Okay, adjusted everything, so its all nice & even between all letters. I hope kerning king will spare me this time.
Thank you for feedback :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• kernah.jpg
    kernah.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 190

S'N'S

I've used that font before and found that I had to VISUALLY kern it or it looks wrong, you end up with large gaps here and there and the rest tight, so I would ignore what bob said and kern by eye....but that just my opinion.
Also, couldn't you use 2 sheets of ACP horizontal so you only have one join. I noticed a few saying 3 verticle sheets.
And our dollar is about the same value as yours so I would be about the same as TXFB.INS price of about $2000

reQ

I've used that font before and found that I had to VISUALLY kern it or it looks wrong, you end up with large gaps here and there and the rest tight, so I would ignore what bob said and kern by eye....but that just my opinion.
Also, couldn't you use 2 sheets of ACP horizontal so you only have one join. I noticed a few saying 3 verticle sheets.

1) Yup, thats what i said before - kerning might be right, but it look awkward with this font. But fixed kerning to make bob happy so he won't call me names ;)
2) My supplier has 4x8 & 5x10 in stock, so i can't make it work with only 2 sheets, so will be using 3 pieces of 4x8 vertically

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're actually going the wrong way with your kerning. Kerning is not the proper distance between letters based on where a letter ends, but the proper eye spacing to make words more legible and eye appealing to look at due to the body/stroke of the actual letter, not based on the serif. When using a letter, such as you picked, the serif sometimes will overlap or join to make this clunky appearance go away. Another reason, to use upper and lower case. As in another thread, certain serif letters don't work well, when using all caps. This is more of a decorative style letter, and not meant to be a headline type face, regardless of the size of the sign. Being a designer, even if the customer likes it, you need to know where to interject good balance for copy, color combinations and letter weight. 7" letters can be seen at about 400' without any handicapped styles. Your thick/thin style will be lucky if it's readable from 150'.

Like you said, they're happy, so you are too, but once that baby is up, be prepared for people to say....... I can't read it from the road or whatever the viewing distance is. Don't come back with....... well, you said you liked it. They will say, you are the professional here, not us. Do a squint test. Print the sign out in color on an 8.5 x 11 and stand across the room and see if you can read it, within 2 seconds. Since you know what it says, have someone else take 2 seconds to read it and tell you what it says.

rossmosh

I think everyone's been in a position where they made a proof for a customer and because you were doing what they wanted or making 3-5 options, one of the options looked good at the time but when it came down into production, it wasn't quite there. In those circumstances you can either contact the customer and get another approval or just fix the problems the best you can.

The customer will simply not notice if you shrink the text 5%, tweak the kerning, and at a little stroke to the letters to bold them up. As long as they are left with a nice sign, 99% won't notice the minor changes. And if they do, say something like "we had to tweak it to actually produce the sign. Proofs are just to give you a general idea what it looks like."

signguy 55

Okay, adjusted everything, so its all nice & even between all letters. I hope kerning king will spare me this time.
attachment.php

I hope you're kidding as far as kerning. At least I hope you attached the wrong sketch.

If not you need to quit working seven days a week and do some serious design training. Kerning has nothing to do with things being equal.
Just remember whenever you submit a logo or design on this site you open yourselves up to constructive criticism. You have guys here with 20 - 30 years of experience to give their critiques.

Just because the customer approved it doesn't matter. Our job is to give them the best product available. I do believe the sign business is the only one where the customer has so much input in a finished product. I can't imagine an electrician or plumber going against their better judgment just because "that's what the customer wants".

Anyway go for it.

Pete Moss

Definitely manually adjust the kerning. It is way more aesthetically pleasing with visually equidistant spacing. With the "character's type body" as bob calls it, it looks ununiform and gapped out. Nice font choice by the way, what is the name of it?

reQ

I see that couple people did not understand that i uploaded last proof with "fixed kerning" only for Bob & it was for smiles, because it looks stupid & awkward the way he told me i have to make it. It was adjusted manualy before, but mr. kerning wanted me to "fix it" so here it was lol.

P.S. I hear ya about 7" bottom letters, will discuss with them to change it.

P.S.S. Font is called Tiffany

reQ

You have guys here with 20 - 30 years of experience to give their critiques.
I believe that Bob is one of these guys, and he was the one who said it has to be adjusted the way i adjusted for him :) So, what does it mean? Not all guys with that much experience think twice before suggest something. He just wanted to stick his experience in my face & call me amateur, that's it :) I am all in for criticism, really, i have quite a bit of people from here who i discuss things in private messages and i see 10 times more constructive criticism down in PM :)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

No, it looks clumsy. Now for part two of the lesson; this particular type face is extremely hard to use in all upper case. It has large serifs and extreme contest between thick and thin. This does not make for an easily readable upper case.

By the bye, when I refer to 'type body' I'm talking about a term used in setting hot and cold type. It refers to the rectangle that bounds any particular character. Back before you were born when the various tenets of typography were developed this was a common term. Not so much these days. But the tenets still apply regardless whether you can can violate them willy nilly with digital technology..

When setting metal type each character is 'mounted' as it were either on the end of an individual slug or as a matrix [mold] for hot type. The 'type body'. One character cannot be placed closer to the next than its physical slug will permit. That's why there's ligatures and it's considered good typography to use them.

Just because you can do something does not mean that you should.