• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price Check

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a loaded question. Size and intricacies matter.

If you sell 1 letter that is 11.5" tall vs. 65 letters at an inch tall.... which'll cost more ??
Now, put fancy serifs on all those letters..... or make it a somewhat fancy script.

Oops, what kinda vinyl ?? Digitally printed, die-cut, cast, intermediate, translucent, reverse............. ??

AKA TRE

That's a loaded question. Size and intricacies matter.

If you sell 1 letter that is 11.5" tall vs. 65 letters at an inch tall.... which'll cost more ??
Now, put fancy serifs on all those letters..... or make it a somewhat fancy script.

Oops, what kinda vinyl ?? Digitally printed, die-cut, cast, intermediate, translucent, reverse............. ??
Just a cut colored vinyl, like Orocal 651. I understand there are a lot of variables but I was seeing if I could get a basic pricing structure. I have a pretty good idea of what I would charge just seeing what other people are getting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, then try phrasing your request differently.

Make a few samples up, Make note of what you get and how/why and see if anyone agrees with YOUR pricing.

Remember, what Joe Blow needs to keep his doors open vs what you need could be miles apart. You need to figure out your costs, overhead, insurances, time, profit and whatever else ya wanna throw into the equation and then set your OWN prices. Most likely, it's gonna be the same as you doing it for yourself to apply to a sign or a truck door, just minus the labor of that part. Whether a customer puts it on or you do, it's all the same components, other than you not applying it.

garyroy

AKA Tre, Gino is kind of right. You sound like a customer that comes in and asks....
"What do you guys charge for a sign?"
Good grief, what does that mean? There are so many variables. Be specific if you want specific information.
If people on here respond, "I get $3 per foot, oh yeah, I get $4 per ft, me too, oh yeah, well I get $8 per foot, would that really help?
If your making no money doing it for what your charging now, your not charging enough, if you are maknig money, good, maybe you can tick it up a bit.
Charge what your market will bear.

AKA TRE

Thanks Gary,

I'll take all that into consideration. I thought I was pretty specific, Orcal 651 intermediate, cut and applied per sq./ft.
Not really needing a price exactly, I just thought this would be a good sounding board to see what shops across the country are roughly getting for cut vinyl.
More of a curiosity as opposed to give me an exact number.
Thanks for schooling me guys! Hopefully I do better than Joe Blow... So far we're keeping the doors open.

sardocs

Whatever you decide you're going to charge, I would recommend establishing a Shop Minimum. My shop minimum is $87.50. Only you can figure out what yours should be.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You need a bare minimum shop charge, even if it's only $25 because each order has a set amount of time for bookwork. Talk to customer, write up work order, create invoice, customer picks up and pays. Then I do what Texas does, hourly rate, plus material cost x 2 = amount charged and any mark-up you want to add.

You can also get the Signcraft pricing book online and there is a section in there called "Lettering: Vinyl" and it's priced with high performance vinyl per the square foot. I use this quite a bit just to get a start especially for larger jobs that it might be harder to calculate how much time it will take. If the order is intricate then I add some extra.

Also like Texas...if it's a color I have to order or a color I won't use again then they pay for the entire roll or the yardage I purchase plus shipping. If I add it to another order and don't pay shipping then I still add $10 for shipping because the next time they will wonder why they didn't pay shipping the first time and not the second time.