• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price of gasoline, petroleum.. etc.

randya

Fred, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this, it starts at the TOP, and was a very sad day for our country, when someone halted off-shore drilling and shut down the Keystone pipeline project, just when we will be needing local petroleum development for domestic use!

http://www.transcanada.com/keystone.html

:wavingflag:

No one has halted off shore drilling.

Well except perhaps those that already have leases and permits.

http://www.doi.gov/news/pressreleases/DOI-Releases-Report-on-Unused-Oil-and-Gas-Leases.cfm

"According to the report, more than 70 percent of the tens of millions of offshore acres under lease are inactive, neither producing nor currently subject to approved or pending exploration or development plans."

Hording leases?

If they are not going to use them within a reasonable time, they should be sold to someone who will.

What is the point of issuing more leases that wont be used?

Perhaps MOST of it starts at the bottom.....

CanuckSigns

Gas has been $5 a gallon here for a while, nothing has changed, everyone still drives to the corner store 3 times a day.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Bring on the gas increase, tired of seeing commuter cookie cutter utopias with no culture. Live where you live! With my average daily mileage being somewhere under 10, it'll take a lot before I'm feeling it, even with my inefficient kid hauler.

No idea on vinyl pricing, I would think any impact would be pretty diffused along the product chain. Especially with the low cost of natural gas.

That doesn't work here.
Island is 5x30miles
We don't have to drive much but everything we use has to come by air or sea.
Until the shippers go back to sail and maybe long range hang gliders for priority air we are going to take it in the shorts.
This hike is just getting started and gas is $5.17 a gal already.

wayne k
guam usa

2NinerNiner2

Gas has been $5 a gallon here for a while, nothing has changed, everyone still drives to the corner store 3 times a day.

Same here in Cow Town, "oil capital" of Canada :Canada 2:
The "real" issue here is the price of beer! :beer
I just arrived back home a couple hours ago from Phoenix where 18 MGD were $14.99 at the Fry's on Avondale & Buckeye ... and just got back in from yet another solo trip (to the beer store - oh no, I "couldn't" have picked it up on the way home from the airport! :) ) and paid $19.00 for 15!

cajun312

No one has halted off shore drilling.

Well except perhaps those that already have leases and permits.

http://www.doi.gov/news/pressreleases/DOI-Releases-Report-on-Unused-Oil-and-Gas-Leases.cfm

"According to the report, more than 70 percent of the tens of millions of offshore acres under lease are inactive, neither producing nor currently subject to approved or pending exploration or development plans."

Hording leases?

If they are not going to use them within a reasonable time, they should be sold to someone who will.

What is the point of issuing more leases that wont be used?

Perhaps MOST of it starts at the bottom.....

When an oil company leases an area, they hope it contains oil. After they lease it then they can begin exploration. After exploration then they drill test wells.
They may lease a 2,000 acre block and only find recoverable oil on 100 acres of that block. The rest does not contain enough oil to produce. Some of the areas in the gulf were leased for gas wells, but the price of natural gas has dropped enough to make deep water wells unprofitable unless you can get a lot of oil with the gas.
And then when the price of gasoline gets high, the government can blame the evil oil companies for not developing areas with no oil.

WildWestDesigns

They may lease a 2,000 acre block and only find recoverable oil on 100 acres of that block. The rest does not contain enough oil to produce.

That or the technology and/or market price doesn't make it worth harvesting that oil.

This touches on a term that has some confusion with it. "Oil Reserves". Odds are that when I'm in a conversation with people about oil, oil prices, supply, they talk about our reserves and talk about it like the figure for our reserves is all the oil that we have left. That isn't the case, reserves are what is "shovel ready", based on the technology right now and the market price of oil, reserves are the oil that is able to be harvested at this time. That changes depending on technology and price.

What I'm waiting for is the price of oil to get high enough that alternatives are viable, even if they aren't perfect replacements and the bottom falls out on the oil prices after those alternatives take over.

For those that make money in this industry, that should be a concern. I know a couple of years ago one of the Saudi Oil Ministers remarked to something along those lines by saying that the Stone Age didn't end due to not having any stone left.

frontside

Their gas was probably 150-200% more than ours and probably still is. Cars are generally smaller because of the cost of gas and roads were not built to handle medium or larger cars. The roads within most older cities and towns are very tight.

Don't be surprised but it's still the same ...
for exemple and that's an average :
for unleaded right now it's 2,34 USD/liter
for diesel 2,08 USD/liter
how to see a bright future with prices like this ???

try to imagine how our economy goes and how we have to think about everything to plan before acting .We have a manufacture of vinyl products here in France (HEXIS) everything else is imported to some insane rates ...
and the benefits are poor and we have to make twice or 3 times the work we would have done in the US to make the same amount of money

European community had to be the best thing ever to allow us to be competitive in the world and strong on the markets ...... finally , we haven't been that bad for 2 or 3 centuries ...

AndrewLaws

Here in the UK £10 (US$16) buys 1.5 gallons of diesel, I have no idea how any business can afford to run a van, I expect the impact on the sign industry will be that quotes will have to start including a section just for fuel costs.

frontside

Here in the UK £10 (US$16) buys 1.5 gallons of diesel, I have no idea how any business can afford to run a van, I expect the impact on the sign industry will be that quotes will have to start including a section just for fuel costs.

this situation should enter the guiness book !!!!
better to laugh about that , but sometimes it scratches in my throat !....
i'm starting to understand why french people are always complaining ....

rickzan

Everything goes up with fuel prices because of the transportation of goods. But what really hurts is filling the bucket truck. Och!

CanuckSigns

hopefully the raise in prices of fuel will make people stop and think a bit, plan their trips a bit better, I realize that some things are unavoidable, but the amount we drive is silly. We've built communities where it is impossible to walk anywhere. Everyone wants to live in subdivisions where you have to jump into your SUV and drive 10 minutes to get milk in the morning.

My wife and i just bought our first house last year, it's about 1 mile from my shop, when the weather is nice, I'll walk to work, you should see the look of horror on peoples faces when I told them I walked 1 whole mile to work, they think i'm crazy!

AndrewLaws

It's a well-worn cliché for Europeans to comment on this, but the first time I visited the USA I was stunned that you can't walk from one store to another at most strip malls, you really do have to get in your car and drive the 50 yards to the next store. I haven't travelled much in the USA, but I did notice that a lot of Massachusetts roads don't appear to have sidewalks. Walking isn't just unusual in America, it's an extreme sport!

WildWestDesigns

For the most part America really isn't built for walking and/or public transportation like trains compared to Europe (correct me if I'm wrong, but with the high fuel costs that also subsidizes those public transportation methods as well).

I was lucky, my hometown has a very good public transportation system (always liked the DART train and still do) and plenty of walking/bike paths that don't interfere with road traffic. America is just setup differently then Europe, for better or for worse. It isn't going to be easy. It would be far better to find something that replaces dino fuel and has a better long term outlook.

AndrewLaws

I can only speak for England, but public transport is sometimes prohibitively expensive - I live 80 miles from London and when I worked in London full time I was paying twice as much for my rail fare as I was my mortgage (and I'd only just started the mortgage!) If memory serves ten years ago I was paying the equivalent of US$1000 a month just to get to work, I shudder to think how much it must cost now!

I'm going to start cycling the five miles to work :)

CheapVehicleWrap

finally , we haven't been that bad for 2 or 3 centuries ...

At least your life expectancy is much greater than ours. Exactly how old are you? I'm picturing Grandpa Munster or something.

Attachments

• tumblr_lkoxcflab61qf83cro1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lkoxcflab61qf83cro1_500.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 97

CanuckSigns

I can only speak for England, but public transport is sometimes prohibitively expensive - I live 80 miles from London and when I worked in London full time I was paying twice as much for my rail fare as I was my mortgage (and I'd only just started the mortgage!) If memory serves ten years ago I was paying the equivalent of US$1000 a month just to get to work, I shudder to think how much it must cost now!

It is expensive, my wife is originally from Croydon (south of london) and whenever we go visit her parents, it's about 17 GBP to go to and from London Victoria, I've always just summed it up to England being a very expensive country (London especially!)

WildWestDesigns

That was about my fuel costs for diesel fuel about 10 yrs going 60 miles one way. I hate to see what I would be paying for diesel fuel nowadays too for that same road trip if I was still doing it.