• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pricing artwork

noack214

i recently did a job for my county building. i just recieved a email from them asking if i can send them the pdf i designed. what im wondering is should i charge them and if so how much?

Circleville Signs

This is a question for the Sales, Pricing, and Marketing section - not general signmaking. As to what you should charge - that's simple.

Hourly design rate x # hours worked = Price

If you have trouble with that equation, this might not be the right business for you.

noack214

I should have included that the design included a new font: all together a new logo. I am assuming that they want the PDF so that they can use the new logo for their website and other advertising. I would think that there should be a logo fee or fee for the rights to it. I only come here so that I can have proof, from experienced people, and can show my boss what they should be getting. (I am just an underpaid sign/graphic designer so the boss doesn't listen to me. I know shame on me for working here but in the mean time, all serious answers would be appreciated!)

signgal

I sympathize... I've done this in the past and had myself to answer to for it! Two pieces of advice...

1) sometimes, you want the job or don't mind doing the little bit of artwork for free. NOTE that on the invoice! You'll thank me, later.

2) I make the graphic files sound extremely complicated and explain how the wrong file type can produce poor quality results and offer to send the file to whom they are working with, so the "designer geeks" can speak the same language to one another. They are usual grateful to me and I get to hang onto my work.

Oh, and I don't know if this is advice but you could .pdf a rastered image and provide that ;)

Craig Sjoquist

By all means charge for this ... your boss should not only charge a healthy price .. cause the county can have any body else do the work with the PDF file that means you will not

I myself keep all files to keep the work coming back or sell at a price to make it well worth while to let it go bigger the business the higher the value, the more effort to make logo etc also higher the cost discuss this with employer so you also profit well for your talents ... some designers charge a set price, some % of sale ..the original is worth alot who else can do this in your shop

G-Artist

There is an issue not many folks are aware of and I am only beginning my research into it
(time is limited).

The fonts that were used to create the typeface you used, should your client wish to carry
that design forward on other projects (such as a web page, etc.), really should be licensed
directly to them. In other words, they have to pay some $$$ to the House that distributes
them and they, in turn, get a license for unlimited use.

It''s sort of complicated and I haven't sorted out all the details as of yet but suffice to say
that your licensing the art you constructed (for $$$, of course) is one thing. If they wish
to carry that over to other mediums they should consult with counsel about IP
matters.