• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pricing help

danger

have gas station awning im doing it is just black hp cut vinyl 48 feet x 40 inch 2 sides and they are supplying the lift completly lost on pricing this i mostly do digital 4x8's and decal so any help would be great im in nh if that helps

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Plus whatever profit, markup and overhead you want to include.

By the way.... are you insured to go up there and do this if you've never done it before ??

Usually when you apply for the permit to do this type of work, they will ask for proof of your liability insurance unless you're going up without notifying anyone..........

American & Proud

Are you using Sign Pricing Software?

Helps alot.

I just bought GraphixCALC Pro from Chris who is a Merchant Member here, real nice guy.

I just got it last week and can see the Many benefits of having software like this already, and I am not even fully dialed in with it yet.

Check the classifieds here Chris was running $50.00 off, see if that is still in effect.

Heres the GraphixCALC web site.:thumb:

http://www.graphixcalc.com/

Last edited:

Mosh

Are you sure you can handle this since all you have done are 4x8's? Pretty big step-up.
Be sure to have the right insurance and any permits. Most customers who "will provide a lift" have shopped around and are looking for the lowballers. They are thinking they will will save a buck by providing the lift. I hate customers like this, I either do it all with my equipment or don't do it.

mosignman

Just to warn you, it takes alot to clean the awning/canopy especially if it is at a truck stop. I guess the build-up from dirt and exhaust is horrible. I did some canopies at a truck stop which were about 150' long and cleaning it was the hardest part. I actually got two lifts, one to clean ahead of the one installing, ended up being one to clean and one to re-clean and then going back to install. Just charge for time and materials and it makes a good payday.

danger

ive done alot more then 4x8's wraps trailers ect i was mean for signage but i figured it out at about 1800-2000 insured yes i am but im just doing this for the customer under his belt its cash and carry going there to help put up is what it is he dont wanna pull permits rather beg for forgivness then ask for perrmsion thanks for all the help
my handle ? cause im dangerous ;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dangerous only pertains to how and why you're conducting a business such as you are doing in this instance.

If you're a seasoned professional and have all kinds of insurance... don't you know or understand the ramifications if something happens to you while you're on this job ??

Should something go wrong and you break a leg or God forbid... something worse.... the municipality, his insurance and your insurance are all gonna say.... YOU did this illegally. His begging forgiveness won't even enter into the equation on your behalf. Sure, he might feel bad, but his lawyers will tell in the blink of an eye.... don't do a thing or he'll be held responsible and then they'll all tear into him.

Sorry, but this is where the buddy system stops. Friends go drinking and out to dinner together, but they don't work without permits and certainly not under the table. Get caught one time and you'll completely understand why I wrote this.

You do what you want. I wrote this so no one else tries a dumb stunt like this that have lives and businesses on the line and can't afford an unaccountable mistake, problem or accident.

Last edited:

B Snyder

ive done alot more then 4x8's wraps trailers ect i was mean for signage but i figured it out at about 1800-2000 insured yes i am but im just doing this for the customer under his belt its cash and carry going there to help put up is what it is he dont wanna pull permits rather beg for forgivness then ask for perrmsion thanks for all the help
my handle ? cause im dangerous ;)

Huh?

thesignguy1986

If permits are required you defintally need them. Just because you may have not got caught doesn't mean you won't. I did work for a buddy in Toledo, OH and he wanted to letter himself since I wouldn't due to him not wanting to pay for permits and no joke that very Monday he got cited for $700 in fines. If theres a permit required I'd just add it in the total, plus most the time there pretty easy to get without any trouble.

saktrnch

i am but im just doing this for the customer under his belt its cash and carry

I've never really understood this kind of stuff. Where I live, it's a $10,000 fine for starters for evading sales tax. That just doesn't seem worth it to me. Then you get the IRS and the state's revenue people digging through everything you've done for the last 7 years. Then you get to pay back everything you were saving customers by doing what you thought was a favor, plus interest. And I bet none of the customers step up to help pay your way out of it.

Man that's a lot of profitless work just to pay off those fines. It's good job security though, you have to work your rear off to stay out of jail...

petrosgraphics

if you think you can handle the vinyl aspects of the job thats great...
just make sure the lift is up to date, the harness you are using is within the required dates and you have been trained to use the lift.... you really do not need OSHA breathing done your neck....
a simple call to the town hall asking them if you need a permit is well worth the time....
it is only a permit fee, customer is going to end up paying it any way....

your bigger problem is the use of the lift... just make sure every is current on the lift..
again OSHA can be a pain if your not careful.....

daveb

General Know-it-all
:rock-n-roll:Shucks man you don't need no stinkin' harness, can't move in those things and OSHA, shoot those guys have bigger fish to fry they won't bother with us. And license and permits heck the bureaucrats, if they show up we act stupid, send em in to the owner then run for our truck. These are the kind of guys that make my life a living hell, he's probably got insurance.... on his truck. I've got guys in town here working that do most of their outside work at night no kidding 10 PM and they're out there servicing lighted signs, no license, no insurance, no overhead but heck they work cheap and they're "dangerous" too. Sorry, ranting here, I've finally decided that the customers these guys get usually aren't worth it anyway and they usually show up at our office wanting us to fix what the other guys screwed up anyway so it all works out in the end.:noway: