• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing Wraps

cajunaviator

I need some input. I have been in the sign business for ten years now. I have done tons of vehicle jobs, most of them involve 3M reflective going on fire trucks and police cars along with print and cut graphics. I am moving into vehicle wraps. I need to know how to price a vehicle wrap. I will be using 3M products with my Roland SP540V printer. I also need to know what is a good middle of the road price I should charge for design and layout. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We generally only discuss pricing in the premium section of the forums. Aside from that price a wrap based on several things. Materials USE (not actually what goes on the vehicle) including vinyl, ink, app tape if used, adding decent markups for profit overhead, etc. artwork time and setup, installation time and upcharges for installation complexity. Really depends a lot on the vehicle, artwork, and the customer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get a piece of paper and pencil and write down all of your costs..... vinyl, ink, design time, laminate, labor, production and so on.
Next, figure out your overhead..... heat, electric, water, insurances, licenses and so forth.
Then figure out your taxes, profit and markup and add that into your equation.
Once you have this all together, you should have a rather accurate number on what you yourself needs to get the job finished.

It doesn't matter much what Joe Blow gets halfway across the country or three blocks away from you. They aren't paying your bills and don't have the same level of expertise whether better or worse. So, it's really a crap shoot if you just shoot from the hip and charge what Sally is getting in southern California vs. you in Louisiana.

Craig Sjoquist

When I price work and 95% is by hand ... I look at sq. ft. price..then amount of work price..then VALUE .. value of my know how, value of advertisement which to me is most important.

Before PCs and cutters / printers destroyed the pricing $20 $30 a sq ft for full color was common it has taken over 20 years to start building back up to that level again mainly because of costs.

Remember Mechanics did not lower price of labor just because they could do the same job with air tools and reduce labor time by 2/3s

Kevin-shopVOX

Get a piece of paper and pencil and write down all of your costs..... vinyl, ink, design time, laminate, labor, production and so on.
Next, figure out your overhead..... heat, electric, water, insurances, licenses and so forth.
Then figure out your taxes, profit and markup and add that into your equation.
Once you have this all together, you should have a rather accurate number on what you yourself needs to get the job finished.

It doesn't matter much what Joe Blow gets halfway across the country or three blocks away from you. They aren't paying your bills and don't have the same level of expertise whether better or worse. So, it's really a crap shoot if you just shoot from the hip and charge what Sally is getting in southern California vs. you in Louisiana.
+1 Then you could use SignVOX that allows you to put all overhead, material costs, markup, and taxes, so you really only have to do it once (then modify as time goes on based on your costs/expenses), build templates based on make and model and complexity, then choose which areas are going to be wrapped (hood, sides, roof etc) which will then generate a price based on coverage and your pricing. Generate a professional quote all in a matter of minutes. Then you take a deposit, create work order, attach working measurements/vehicle photos to the online job jacket, send a proof using the online proofing tool which gets approved by the customer. Track it with the electronic job board from design through calling customer for final pickkup, create a professional invoice and get final payment. Upload a photo of your finished job as well as any comments for future reference into SignVOX and have it update your Facebook page to promote what you do to more people. Wow....and that is only about 50% of what the program does.

cajunaviator

I have been using Estimate for the last several years. I am a full time Police Officer and have operated my business on my off time for the last 10 years. All of my equipment is paid off and I work out of a large shop at my home. I really don't have much overhead. If the pricing can be broken down by the square foot, I can figure that out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You have to have overhead, if you're operating legally.... even if you ARE a Police officer.

You still have licenses, proper insurances in place, electric, heat, paper towels, chemicals, tools, proper ventilating for your printing system and other hidden costs. If you don't have these in place, you should probably arrest yourself.

Regardless if you're operating out of your bedroom, garage or a commercial building... you still need to be set up by the IRS rules, city ordinances and proper insurance policies to be considered in legal operation. Failure to follow these few steps is..... as I'm sure you must know..... or you wouldn't have said your overhead is so low, grounds for a codes inspection to insure your neighbors, family, dog, environment are all safe from your type of business in your locale. One cannot ignore the law.... right ?? I know I can't.

Part-time or full-time.... you still need to be kosher 100% of the time.

Yes, get a square foot price, figure your basic design time along with production and application time. Add this to your overhead, markup and profit columns.

The other thing you can do is like so many others..... just name a price, do the job, collect the money and throw it all up in the air and whatever falls to the ground, you keep..... screw anyone else that has their hand out for your hard earned money.

cajunaviator

I have always operated legitimately. What I meant was that I don't have a note on my equipment and I don't have to pay rent or utilities specifically for my business. Yes I have insurance and taxes to pay, but my overhead is no where near what it would be if I had a storefront shop.

Mason

Listen to Gino, he knows what he's talking about... at least as far as this is concerned...

Luv ya Gino!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have always operated legitimately. What I meant was that I don't have a note on my equipment and I don't have to pay rent or utilities specifically for my business. Yes I have insurance and taxes to pay, but my overhead is no where near what it would be if I had a storefront shop.

I know we're getting way off course from your original question, but you hit on a topic that many people fail to see or adhere to when operating a home-based business.

When running a business out of your home.... you still need to write off the necessary utilities and what portion is used for residential vs. commercial use. They are technically two separate bills and should be broken down accordingly. Otherwise, technically... you are cheating. If you have any printers or machinery in your home or on your home property, it must be divided accordingly for insurance purposes and many other codes reasons. Small children should not be permitted anywhere near these things also. Is your property zoned residential/commercial or light industry ?? Do you have separate parking, toilet facilities and access from your shop area vs. your residential area ?? Are your chemicals stored outside of your home or garage ?? Are you writing off any portion of your house towards operating expenses ?? Is your shop/work area completely separate from any residential foot traffic for any reason.

Just being part-time or operating at home does not give you or any other person the right to ignore simple safety and codes regulations in your city or municipality. Do you use any liquid such as rapid tac, clear shield, adhesive removers, thinners, turps, ink solution cleaners or any other chemicals ?? Hmmm.

To be a legit home-based business and using a room or two for business write-offs, home supplies as a write off and an out building for doing work is not all it entails to be in business in any state, US of A.

In fact, unless you have the proper insurance on your equipment and business and something should happen to it... your insurance company will then tell you you are not covered. They'll tell you anything in the beginning, but unless you have it in writing what is and isn't covered.... they'll never cover you. They can't by law, if you aren't set up 100% by the book.

It puts a whole new spin on being a home-based sign shop. If you have time and money wrapped up in your business, it's worth your while checking these few basic avenues out and getting everything signed, sealed and in hand.
:thumb:

cajunaviator

I was asking for helpfully input, not an audit of my business. I have and will always operate to the letter of the law. Like I said I am an honest hard working Police Officer of 17 years trying to support my family. I would not and could attempt to enforce the law if I don't follow them myself. This forum was created for professional people in our business to help each other out. If I as a police officer were to take your approach and automatically assume that people have committed a crime with no reason or evidence to prove so, I would be taking a lot of people to jail unjustly. In my line of work, that is a violation of a persons constitutional rights. I was looking for friendly helpfully advice. If others on this forum think like you, then I want no part of this forum!!!

petepaz

we all ask what people are charging or would charge on jobs from time to time. lately though i am coming to realize some better questions....how long did it take you to do a similar job? how much of a pain in the a$$ was it? are there any short cuts or tricks i should know about? past couple of big jobs or wrap type jobs i priced based on the normal stuff (over head/my mark up, material and now the killer "estimated time/labor")
it's the unkown that is a killer

cajunaviator

Thanks petepaz. That is helpful information. Thanks to everyone that provided HELPFUL information. This points me in the right direction.

cajunaviator

Gino,
If you were wrongfully accused of a crime you did not commit, you would be a lot more than just offended. It is very unprofessional to take someone that you know nothing about and question their integrity. I take offense to your questioning my integrity!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I was asking for helpfully input, not an audit of my business. I have and will always operate to the letter of the law. Like I said I am an honest hard working Police Officer of 17 years trying to support my family. I would not and could attempt to enforce the law if I don't follow them myself. This forum was created for professional people in our business to help each other out. If I as a police officer were to take your approach and automatically assume that people have committed a crime with no reason or evidence to prove so, I would be taking a lot of people to jail unjustly. In my line of work, that is a violation of a persons constitutional rights. I was looking for friendly helpfully advice. If others on this forum think like you, then I want no part of this forum!!!

Sorry you took it the wrong way. It must be my mean-spirited way I worded things. :noway:

Since you found this hurtful and painful, please disregard everything I said and here's hoping you much success in your business and wrapping vehicles in the future.

Also, don't pre-judge the others on this forum because of me. That wouldn't be fair to steryotype them because you dislike my answers... or me. Most people are helpful and will tell you anything you want to hear. I was merely trying to help, since you brought the other information to the table and seemed confused as to what I was offering you. Guess I just hit a little too close to home... again sorry. :peace!:

cajunaviator

Apology accepted. As police officers, Our integrity is often questioned and that hits a tender spot. I have worked with corrupt officers in the past and my father god rest his soul always instilled in me that a man must always be true to his word and have good integrity. That is how I have always lived my life. I always do everything by the book, from my service in the military to my everyday life as a law enforcement officer. That is why i have such a large customer base. My customers know that I am honest and hard working. Thank you for the apology.

GP

Now that you have made up - I would recommend re-reading his posts, as there was a lot of extremely important and well thought out information on a proper costing approach.

I would also recommend joining the premium forums. I just found a post pertaining to wrap warranties that was an extraordinary wealth of knowledge. Best money I have ever spent. And oh, it's a write off (and technically overhead).

Good luck,

GP

spm

Just typing, The only problem I have with guys pricing something that they have no clue on and that they are lucky enough not be a full time shop owner is that when they price something to cheap it destroys the market for the rest of us, full time shop owners.

CheapVehicleWrap

"If I as a police officer were to take your approach and automatically assume that people have committed a crime with no reason or evidence to prove so, I would be taking a lot of people to jail unjustly. In my line of work, that is a violation of a persons constitutional rights."

Non for nothing... but your ethics would immediately disqualify you as a law enforcement officer here in new jersey where corruption as well as salaries are at an all time high.

AND you'd have to start doing roids which are readily available from corrupt doctors. Bulking up like that would limit ones mobility to wrap vehicles efficiently in my opinion.