• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing

Ryan Scott

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find anything on it.

I'm curious how everyone here builds out their pricing. I learned at my last job what we charged, came to a new shop and sort of just try to compete with that, and it's worked so far, but I'm wanting to see if I can actually nail down a system.

I've been doing it by square foot, and including everything in that. Labor, grommets, inks, etc, but it's all just sort of a guess. If someone asked me to break it down, I wouldn't know how, as stupid as that might sound.

Anyone here have a simple system they go by? Initial material cost X a certain amount?

henryz

Hello Ryan, Bly quoted last month;

It's like any other sign.
Cost of materials + markup.
Installation & prep time x shop rate.
Design time if you're doing the design.
Even if you're not you should allow time for artwork setup, dealing with the client etc
We photograph most jobs and overlay the art, generate a jpeg and email the client for approval so that all takes time.
Know what the competition charges but don't try to be the cheapest.
There are always some fools who seem happy working for the minimum wage in that game.

I agree 100%.

henryz

Even with an estimating system, you need to know what it involves materials and labor. What you G&A is so you can figure out your mark ups and potential profit.

johnschleich

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find anything on it.

I'm curious how everyone here builds out their pricing. I learned at my last job what we charged, came to a new shop and sort of just try to compete with that, and it's worked so far, but I'm wanting to see if I can actually nail down a system.

I've been doing it by square foot, and including everything in that. Labor, grommets, inks, etc, but it's all just sort of a guess. If someone asked me to break it down, I wouldn't know how, as stupid as that might sound.

Anyone here have a simple system they go by? Initial material cost X a certain amount?

dwork

Seem to me that "simple" ignores too many variables. We use an Excel Spreadsheet to quote large format work -- it's evolved a bit over time, but we factor in material cost (with a markup), waste, square footage, coverage % (ink), job type (banner, decals, magnetic, etc.), additional work (e.g. grommets, cutting, weeding, etc), material & print discounts if any, and design time if appropriate, and it seems to make everyone happy and doesn't take long to work up a quote. Just a few entries needed because the spreadsheet does the heavy lifting.