• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Primer for Metals

dvdcr

Hello all,
Could anyone recommend the best primer for metals that you have found?
We have tried with xylene, toluene, Marabus' P2 and PP primer. None of these work on the recently batch of tins that we received.

Thanks!

visual800

We use 2 part epoxy from auto paint supplier, it usually comes in dk grey, lite grey or white. We use on all aluminum and steel. Although i hate steel no matter what you do it rusts

rjssigns

Go to your local auto paint supply and get some DTM(direct-to-metal) primer. Tell them if you're using on steel or aluminum as the formula varies. Sherwin-Williams Automotive makes a good product.

dvdcr

By primer do you mean for direct printing? I only ask because this is in the Mimaki category.

Mimaki does make a UV primer but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

We have a JFX-200 and we print on hinged tins.
I've tried the Mimaki primer and it is the worst compared to anything we've tried.

And by primer I don't mean paint, I mean a solution that helps the ink from the printer to stick to the surface of the tins.

DVD do you have the 200 or 500?

How's the printer working for you? I just got off the phone with a tech and I had no idea of this primer configuration.
He said you could simply wipe it down. Questions is if you print acrylic, how hard is it to clean that surface perfectly by hand with those adhesion promoters?

dvdcr

DVD do you have the 200 or 500?

How's the printer working for you? I just got off the phone with a tech and I had no idea of this primer configuration.
He said you could simply wipe it down. Questions is if you print acrylic, how hard is it to clean that surface perfectly by hand with those adhesion promoters?

Hi, we have the 200. I heard they have a new primer "ink" that you can have on your machine. Problem with that is that it would take double time to print because it first has to "print" the primer and on top of that the color, and worse if you need to print white first.
We don't print on acrylic, only on small metal tins likes this ( http://allstatecan.com/sites/default/files/styles/as_product_full/public/hinged-mini-mint-tin.png ) and we use different kinds of primers. We just put a little on a lint free cloth and wipe the printable surface with it. I'm guessing should work similar on acrylic. Although you may not even need a primer for acrylic, perhaps just cleaning from dust should be enough.