• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

print looks like it is streaking or washed out

thewood

As the years go by, we learn more and more about the printers. It used to be thought that more heat helped, then no heat. At the moment, all of the people in my organization are recommending the 32-35c range

Interesting. I went through the same thought process over the years. I used to be an advocate of printing as hot as the media would allow. Now, I prefer to run at much lower temps (35-40°C).

gabagoo, while the streaky colors may indeed by caused by ink starvation (from bad dampers or a variety of other things), I would also try lowering the heat and increasing the passes. I never could get satisfactory results from 4 pass printing. 360x720 8 pass (or even 720x720 8 pass) will probably yield better results than your current 720x720 4 pass setup.

tbaker

while this isn't really applicable to the JV3, remember to run your heaters hot, hotter, hottest ( in the feed direction)

It used to be thought that hot, hottest hot was best, but this results in media rippling.

Just another helpful hint.

gabagoo

Interesting. I went through the same thought process over the years. I used to be an advocate of printing as hot as the media would allow. Now, I prefer to run at much lower temps (35-40°C).

gabagoo, while the streaky colors may indeed by caused by ink starvation (from bad dampers or a variety of other things), I would also try lowering the heat and increasing the passes. I never could get satisfactory results from 4 pass printing. 360x720 8 pass (or even 720x720 8 pass) will probably yield better results than your current 720x720 4 pass setup.

I generally dont print in high speed and find that 4 pass speeds up the process. To print in 8 pass low speed will take so long. maybe it's time to crank it to high speed.

Letterbox Mike

Try going to 8 pass high speed. The higher the pass the more strain you are putting on your ink delivery system. 4-pass high speed probably will require more ink that the printer can actually get to the heads, going to 4-pass low-speed will help this but even so it may still be taxing the ink system beyond what it is capable of delivering. 8-pass high speed should work better, it's drawing less ink than 4-pass low-speed, and the speed may actually be slightly faster than 4-pass low speed.

Every file, printer and media is different so what works on one combination may not work on another. For example, on our JV3, we get great results at 4-bass high speed on banner material, but terrible results on vinyl. It's all about how much ink you can flow from the cartridge to the head, and those old clogged dampers are probably restricting that somewhat.

gabagoo

Try going to 8 pass high speed. The higher the pass the more strain you are putting on your ink delivery system. 4-pass high speed probably will require more ink that the printer can actually get to the heads, going to 4-pass low-speed will help this but even so it may still be taxing the ink system beyond what it is capable of delivering. 8-pass high speed should work better, it's drawing less ink than 4-pass low-speed, and the speed may actually be slightly faster than 4-pass low speed.

Every file, printer and media is different so what works on one combination may not work on another. For example, on our JV3, we get great results at 4-bass high speed on banner material, but terrible results on vinyl. It's all about how much ink you can flow from the cartridge to the head, and those old clogged dampers are probably restricting that somewhat.

Point taken...... will try and see.