• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Server question for pros

Fuzzbuster

Need someone with experience with networking ...

Looking for print server HUB that will take ethernet(male cat5 rj-45) from router and give me one or 2 USB 2.0 input capabilities.

WITH LARGE FORMAT PRINTERS/cutters...ie Mutoh , MIMAKI, ROLAND

Found a few inthe $100 range but none support large format printers we all use...

any ideas???

Thanx

bbeens

Fuzzbuster-

I would guess you are going to have issue with this. Knowing how some rip drivers work, there are different data that needs to be sent USB vs ethernet for some printers that is. Sending data through a USB connection than converting to Ethernet will introduce issues. I can say currently this will not work with Softrip.

Bryan

Fuzzbuster

Its just that my whole network that setup in the ceilings and the walls is ALL ethernet

The printer i`m trying to hook up is usb... go figure a printer that doesn`t take a ethernet connection...

It just means setting up a totally new computer... a new rip and purchasing all new software...:noway:

wich seems ludicrous considering that is all setup already, all hidden, nice and clean... not to mention i think i`m limited to distance with usb????

there are ethernet to usb adapters as well but i need to give it an IP address

thanx for input

signage

Fuzz this has been asked before and print servers don't fair well with large format printing using rips!

binki

Print servers are a strange animal.

First, contact your printer vendor and see if they have an ethernet server option. If not then see if you can convert the signal from the ethernet box to usb for service. You may need to do this on your own if the vendor does not support it.

bryan

I have a 540 Roland that has the NIC Interface and a 300 thats USB. I have tried different print server hubs on the 300 and have been unsuccessful in all attempts to do what your wanting to do. After fighting the problems associated with long spliced USB cords for several years, I finally moved the equipment and put the driver on a different PC that is located closer.

I'm all ears too if anyone has proved this need otherwise... :banghead:

signage

My only solution would be to get a cheap computer and locate it at the printer and network that computer and us a remote access to that computer to run the printer. Hope this helps!

Fuzzbuster

I have a 540 Roland that has the NIC Interface and a 300 thats USB. I have tried different print server hubs on the 300 and have been unsuccessful in all attempts to do what your wanting to do. After fighting the problems associated with long spliced USB cords for several years, I finally moved the equipment and put the driver on a different PC that is located closer.

I'm all ears too if anyone has proved this need otherwise... :banghead:

I also found this that might work???

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-47-2041.html

I guess no need to ask anyone if they`ve tried this for a solution

will post results if i decide to go that way

Thanx for the remote access idea on network that might be the simplest
just means another computer running in printer room

cdiesel

I was also told there were distance limits on USB.. then I connected like 7 10' cables together and they worked just fine. I'd try that.

P

ProWraps™

ive yet to ever have a usb connection fail to distance. and i have been using 25' extensions for years. many times with them connected to each other.

Wrapture

The short of it is you need a USB server, not a print server. USB Servers simply "serve" the USB port, not the device. Just a bridge if you will. The client machine (RIP) is responsible for the drivers. which is what you want. I made a post on this a few months back. You can search for it or just give me a call and I'll talk you through it.

Peace

DigitalBBQ

Printer Server Device is to eliminate the need for computer to be turn "ON" all the time and to print for other computer whichever one is "ON" and want to access printing to particular printer within the same network regardless of operating system.

This is sound like a driver dependent kind of printer.

If you have Mutoh, Mimaki, Roland printers on the network; then you would need each print server device installed on each one of this large format printer!

Also each large format printer required to have printer's driver which communicate to the port on the Print Server.

On each computer on the network, it will require to install all of the printers driver (each BRAND of large formate printer driver )

Plus, each RIP engine for each BRAND of printer will need to be installed on EACH computer on the network, and the RIP engine will need to be configure to rip, and output to the port that connected to the corresponding print-server for the particular large format printer in-use.

For some large format printer such as HP and EPSON they have legacy driver for window OS to communicate directly to printer without the RIP. If printing job required RIP, then it need to be installed, and also have to be configured to send to the correct port corresponding to the print-server device of the appropriate printer. For example, EPSON 7000,9000,10000 series do not have RIP engine; if you use RIP to print large photo, you will need to install RIP software on each computer on the network.

For some large format printer such as Roland printers, they have also a driver for window (Postscript Driver) which need to be installed on each computer on the network and configured so that the driver on each computer on the network talk to the correct IP port which connect to the printer-server connect to the Roland printer. This meaning if you want to print to your Roland printer from any application such MS word, IE explorer, Quickbook, etc. But be real, who want to sent these documents to your Roland unless you have a meeting printing charts or something; but printing from these application required a serious paper size configuration. If you plan to print 4'x8' artwork, then you will need to install Roland's rip such as ColorChoice, ColorRIP or Versawork on EACH COMPUTER ON THE NETWORK to be able to print from any computer on the network.

For some printer such as Mimaki, it use USB port. Again, if you printing 4'x8' artwork from one of your computer on the network; then you will need to install RIP engine on that computer. And configure the RIP to talk to the print-server port. Most of the expensive RIP will have this ability to send RIP data to specific port.

Printing from many computers usually involved the network administration and installation, and configuration time.

Wrapture

If you have Mutoh, Mimaki, Roland printers on the network; then you would need each print server device installed on each one of this large format printer!

Not true. I outlined in the post I made about this that the Keyspan US-4A (Not a "Print Server") can host 4 devices. I use them in my shop with all of my USB devices that I attach to via ethernet.

Printing from many computers usually involved the network administration and installation, and configuration time.

Very true. I would not recommend doing this if you are not absolutely sure what you're doing for the simple fact that when something does go wrong, you won't know where to begin and it will cost you time and money when you can't produce.

DigitalBBQ

Its' easy to just say NO,Not true ?

It isn't about true or false, its the ports implication of the unique accessing point to the printserver port(s) by mentioning EACH printer do need printserver that is.

Doesn't mean physically need one sitting there next to each printer like the two love birds on the wire!

Each large format printer need each printserver on them is TRUE, you can have multiple USB hub or connection junction, but EACH printer will need to have EACH of its own USB PORT. You can have Print Server with switch capability but in electronic node to node , they need to have EACH print server to handle each port. Switch or Not Switch. Ports do have interrupt ID on them in order to communicate with the computer. Without port interruption; the connection within the two computers to the same device will have the port interruption error ( not sure exactly the error code name or number but Microsoft website has tons of these error message categories)

Do not confuse network essential with practical connection method! For example, if you have JV33 and EPSON 10600 connected to the same USB printer server unit, it only meaning that the print server unit can handle multiple devices, but that is depend on the location of those two printers. The print-server is acting as a switch/bridges between ports, and between accessing computers to the unit.

For example, Computer 1 sending data from JV33 RIP let's say RasterLink Pro III to the print-server that configured the USB port for the JV33 printer, that computer sending data to the hub with unique interrupt port ID to that specified JV33 printer USB port as well.

Computer 2 sending data from EPSON 10600 RIP let's say ImagePrint v6 to the same print-server that also configured the USB port for the EPSON 10600 printer. The computer 2 sending data to the hub with another unique interrupt id or in some case the same id (if lucky) to the print-server to EPSON printer then the PRINT-SERVER will act as a switch or bridges on either situation.

To sum up, each printer do need print-server service , but depend on situation, locations, and RIP particular, and the print-server type the same print server unit can handle many printers if they are configured.