• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printable (Eco-Sol) Metallic Silver vinyl suggestions

IsItFasst

Customer sent me this decal and wants me to match. I had some leftover 3M 1080 that is pretty close (not even sure what the color I have is; gloss white aluminum?) but wondering if anyone has some suggestions on a material I can print on that is better suited that would be similar to this. The material on these decals is unlabeled. For scale the silver lettering is about 3/8 tall to give you an idea of the metallic particles. Bonus if it's available in 30".

Attachments

• IMG_6258.jpg
    IMG_6258.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 397

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We had a partial roll of something similar to this about 7-8 years ago. I wish I could remember who was selling it though... feels like it used to be a Coburn product, which turned into R-Tape which then turned into Nekoosa, however it's not on their current stock list.

Attila Nagy

I have printed to transparent adhesive, and cold laminated to metallic film. Or laminated first? can't remember.

Yeahgor

Born to be The Designer.
Customer sent me this decal and wants me to match. I had some leftover 3M 1080 that is pretty close (not even sure what the color I have is; gloss white aluminum?) but wondering if anyone has some suggestions on a material I can print on that is better suited that would be similar to this. The material on these decals is unlabeled. For scale the silver lettering is about 3/8 tall to give you an idea of the metallic particles. Bonus if it's available in 30".

Is that gold piece in right top corner is also part of provided decal?color of
In picture I see the Blue color covered all silver flakes however the gold and clear parts are pretty flaky. Looks like it is not flake lamination on top.
I'm agree with ORACAL 651 Silver, Silver Avery and 3M also works you need to find material with sane size of flakes.
Just two days ago we finish huge Trailer wrap project with printing on Silver 3M. The only problem on silver is lamination will tint color of silver even it was clear 3M 8518.

Last edited:

IsItFasst

In picture I see the Blue color covered all silver flakes however the gold and clear parts are pretty flaky. Looks like it is not flake lamination on top.
I'm agree with ORACAL 651 Silver, Silver Avery and 3M also works you need to find material with sane size of flakes.
Just two days ago we finish huge Trailer wrap project with printing on Silver 3M. The only problem on silver is lamination will tint color of silver even it was clear 3M 8518.
I think the blue is opaque enough to block out the flakes as it's all one decal printed on top of the material. It's definitely the material and not lamination. Adhesive side looks the same as the front side. May have to check out 751.

MikePro

if printing onto a particular material is your issue, try printing onto a glossy-clear (for clarity) and laminating that print onto your chosen metallic vinyl.

I print on 3M 1080 metallic white aluminum a LOT! It's become the new 'upgrade' over white vinyl and people really love the look of it, myself included. I've tried printing on Oracal 751 and it printed horribly for me. Ink just pooled up on the surface and the resulting prints were just not good, for lack of a better description, unless I printed at like 32 passes maybe.

IsItFasst

I see 1080 is being phased out for 2080. Is there a color match on that one? Looking at the colors available I see names changed and didn't see a match in the 2080.

Tatonka

I see 1080 is being phased out for 2080. Is there a color match on that one? Looking at the colors available I see names changed and didn't see a match in the 2080.

The names of the colors shouldn't have changed. They just might not have the gloss or satin white aluminum updated to 2080 yet.

IsItFasst

The names of the colors shouldn't have changed. They just might not have the gloss or satin white aluminum updated to 2080 yet.
I was just looking on Fellers site and they don't have it in 2080 but see on 3M's site it is still available under the same name. Trying out some 751 first since that is available in smaller rolls. Thanks for all the help!

TSC1985

I was just looking on Fellers site and they don't have it in 2080 but see on 3M's site it is still available under the same name. Trying out some 751 first since that is available in smaller rolls. Thanks for all the help!

You're looking for 3M 1J180mc-120 Printable satin white aluminum. Its the dedicated print product of the 2080 same material without the cap liner.

ActionGraphics

When I run into a situation like that, I simply take the material I want to print on, and overlaminate it with a suitable printable laminate ( I use 3m 8518, It's optically clear, printable with Eco Sol, and works great with just about any material.) then print as usual. Doing this turns any material into a printable material.

ActionGraphics

I've never had that happen with 8518.

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money

R-Tape VinylEFX is printable and comes in all sorts of metal styles. Grimco, Fellers etc all sell it.

Hope this helps

Andy D

I had a large project where we printed on 3M metalic cut vinyl, not spec'd as print vinyl & it turned out great. For small decals, I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ for "printable" metalic vinyl.

Last edited: