• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer recommendation. Not VG540

klingsdesigns

if I can return my Roland VG540. What other printer cutters are out there. Before this one we had the vp540 and loved it. At this point I would even be up for just getting a printer and then buying a graphtec plotter. We have a 30 graphtec now but would need something to match printer. We do shirts to canvas to vehicle wraps and contour cut graphics and lettering.

Did have someone mention they went with Epson s80600 and love that one.

Trying to get my ducks in a row so I am not in a pickle and have to get something without much knowledge on it.

Sindex Printing

I have 2 Mutoh printers. The valuejet 1204 and it have been an amazing work horse. The other one is a 1638uh and it has been problem after problem for the last 4 and a half months and 5 service calls later it seems to be working correctly. (It has been only 4 days so far).
Hope this helps

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
S80600 owner of 18 months here... cannot fault the machine other than it printing too fast sometimes. We sometimes have to increase the pass count just so it dries fully before going onto the takeup roller. 8 pass is 99% of our jobs these days.
Print quality is outstanding in every mode, whether it's 4 pass or 12. Gamut is ridiculously large, you can hit Pantone 021C even at 6 pass. We only get banding if several nozzles are clogged which isn't often at all, and a clean takes <5 mins.
It's efficient on inks, and they dry very quickly... they do smell a bit though. Not a machine for an enclosed space, despite there being air filters in board.
Pairs well with a Graphtec FC8600-160.

Martin Denton

Mimaki JV300 1600 wide, brilliant printer with the s21 ink set which includes orange, light grey, light magenta and light cyan. well built no banding issues etc print quality is incredible. We have had ours just over 2 years on a package deal with a 1600 plotter no regrets and price is competitive with the Roland range

klingsdesigns

Anyone else recommend any other printer setup? Hopefully finalizing with Roland on my return and going to order something in the next week. Looking at an Epson s80600 on Wednesday at a print shop.

Sindex Printing

I have 2 Mutoh printers. The valuejet 1204 and it have been an amazing work horse. The other one is a 1638uh and it has been problem after problem for the last 4 and a half months and 5 service calls later it seems to be working correctly. (It has been only 4 days so far).
Hope this helps

The 1638 went down again. Mutoh is replacing the machine with a brand new one this week.

Johnny Best

There is a member on here named Bly from DownUnder. He has owned Roland, HP latex and also Epson.
He could probably give you the best feedback on printers.

Last edited:

ExecuPrintGS

We are very happy with our HP L360. A buddy of mine just picked up his 2nd muttoh and has nothing but good things to say about those also. We both have our printers paired with Graphtec plotters and its a great combo for both shops.

klingsdesigns

Ok right now I have it narrowed down to these three. I dont want latex.

1 Epson s80600 with graphtec fc8600

2 Mimaki - CJV300 - not sure i want a print and cut all in one anymore

3 Valujet 1624x with graphtec fc8600 unless the valucut's are any good? - Not sure if i would get one with more colors. We do a lot of things that are up close for customers so thought more colors the better.

Anyone have any pros and cons on these. I am literally going into this blind as i might be stranded with no printer. Only rip I have ever used is versaworks. I did look at an epson run today. Colors were awesome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Johnny Best

I have owned a Mutoh Valuejet for a lotta years but if I was going to buy a new printer it would be an Epson. Saw the output from an Epson at a trade show and it really prints nice. They worked out that problem with the oranges fading with the newer inks. Also have owned a Graphtec plotter in the past and now own a Summa, and Summa is a better machine.
Also use Shariz RIP which is superior to the Flexi RIP that comes with a Mutoh.

ProPDF

Johnny Best is right.

The Mimaki and Mutohs are running old head technology which has provided a lot of issues for users especially in the form of unequal pressure inside the heads. Go look at the face of the print head on the S40,60,80 and you will see each color is segregated like the old Roland SP/VP/XC which is how it should be because each ink color interacts with the head differently. When you bulk all the channels together with one cap you will be throwing ink away to clear 1 channel like on the Mimaki/Mutoh machines. Now the new Roland SG/VG printers are going back to the head formation of the SP/VP/XC where the print heads are separated but then they are easily not able to be aligned. Epson made 1 head but separated the channels inside that one head one color one cap top. Look at the test prints too the prints are just better.

klingsdesigns

I have owned a Mutoh Valuejet for a lotta years but if I was going to buy a new printer it would be an Epson. Saw the output from an Epson at a trade show and it really prints nice. They worked out that problem with the oranges fading with the newer inks. Also have owned a Graphtec plotter in the past and now own a Summa, and Summa is a better machine.
Also use Shariz RIP which is superior to the Flexi RIP that comes with a Mutoh.

So your saying epson 80600 with summa and shariz rip? Can you cut with this rip? I will have to look into the rip. Had other people tell me to check out summa as well, and the barcode feature is nice supposedly.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The Epson definitely allows you to perform maintenance on a single channel.
I did it last week out of curiousity as I had never seen that menu option before.
It prints a test pattern then asks you select which channel you want to clean independently.