• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer resolution?

ashleighfiddler

Hey everyone, I'm confused about the way we talk about printer resolution. Among other printers, I work with an HP Scitex XL1500 that has a resolution of "Up to 740 x 370 dpi" (just for example).

What does that specifically refer to? I thought that we referred to printer resolution in dots per linear inch. 400 dpi, for example, makes sense in that the printer is putting down 400 dots of ink per linear inch of substrate.

If anyone can provide clarification it would be greatly appreciated. I have even asked one of my Roland techs about it in reference to the resolution of a Versa-Art RS-640 and he was unclear. :banghead:

Thank you!

~ ashleigh

Jim Doggett

More dots per square inch creates higher resoution printing. (Smoother, photo-realistic, continuous tone, etc.)

370 x 740 probably means a 300 dpi print head. If the head is on a bias, that ups the resolution to about 370. Then if the head fires at twice the frequency while if moves across the platen, you get 740 in one direction, which improves print resolution.

Most of the popular printers today have 1440 dpi Epson micropiezo print heads. So you can print at up to 1440 x 1440. Stupid good. So most print at 720 x 720 and still get unbelievable quality, and faster printing.

Best,

Jim

rfulford

It is not uncommon for printers to have both horizontal and vertical resolutions. One of the numbers usually refers to the number of jets in the head and the other is the resolution of the x axis as the head passes along.

The XLJet on the other hand is a totally confusing beast when it comes to resolution. 743x370 or sample mode is its highest quality and consequently slowest mode. Many of the other modes are called multilayer modes which have very confusing resolutions such SPoster which runs at 321x185@321x370. As far as I understand it, these modes overlay the two resolutions on top of each other for better output.

MachServTech

Here's a nice way to get around all of the BS companies fling about resolution. Look at picoliter drop size of the printhead. That will give you the info you need to understand the capabilities of a given machine. 40-30 picoliter is grand format UV and solvent machines of the 2000-2005 era (very grainy). For a frame of reference the standard Epson solvent printhead found in Mutoh Mimaki and Roland has a 13-20 picoliter drop size (somewhat grainy). Epson aqueous printers have a drop size of 4-8 picoliters (true photo-realistic)

ashleighfiddler

It is not uncommon for printers to have both horizontal and vertical resolutions. One of the numbers usually refers to the number of jets in the head and the other is the resolution of the x axis as the head passes along.

OHHHHHHHHHH Well that makes perfect sense. I figured it had to be a simple explanation, and thank you to everyone for the knowledgeable responses. This forum is so helpful!!