• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printers and cold weather areas

csc

It's getting cold overnight here in Nevada and I was just wondering if other shops in cold regions do anything else besides keeping their thermostats set at a comfort range overnight for their printers. I have the HP 9000s with a bulk ink system and noticed a loss of quality in the quality print pattern when I first start for the day. I don't let the shop temperature get below 60 over night. I keep the temp no lower than 68 during operating hours to save on the cost of heating.
Does anyone have any other tips on keeping the printer from getting too cold? Maybe like a thermal blanket or something?
Just wondering.

thewood

Is the poor print quality due to the printer being too cold or the media? I'm guessing the media takes awhile to get back up to temp.

DRPSignsNGrafix

I would guess the media as well. I let my shop drop to about 58-60 at night and during the day it's at 65-67 and we don't have problems. Oh and it gets to be around 2 degrees here outside. LOL

csc

So the possibilities might lie in the cold media. I'll raise the media temp a little and see how it goes. I did a couple of head washes and the print is good now.
Thanks for the feedback.