• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Brushed Aluminum Vinyl?

Pacific Sign

Hello Everyone!

I have a client that wants a bunch of decals. He want's the design printed onto Brushed Aluminum Vinyl. The design is simple enough to silkscreen (its only 2 colors: Black, Red), but I think it would be easier to print on my Mimaki JV3-160 SP if it's possible. I've tried a test print, but the ink "pools" on the surface of the vinyl. Can anyone help me out? Is this even possible to print using Solvent Inks?

Thank you for your time and help!

grafxxx

print on clear and lam it on the brushed alum or don't know what size it is. but you could always two to layer vinyl. and apply it. or lam clear vinyl on the brush and run it through the printer

joeshaul

I've done this with I believe "R-tape EFX". Printing was good as long as the heater was on, but not too high (Caused the vinyl to bubble up), make sure to leave a quarter inch border or more around the edges as well or it'll tend to curl. The print will take on the color of the vinyl, so if you're printing red, expect it to be more of a metalized red (this is usually a desired effect anyway in my opinion).

Pacific Sign

-grafxxx

Thanks for the great tip. I'm ashamed I haven't thought of doing that. Again, thanks a ton!

-joeshaul

Thank you for your help. The design will not print to the edge, but I will take note of the curling in the future. And yes, in my test print, the red (and even the black) would more or less "tint" the vinyl but that's a pretty cool effect. Thanks!